From: RustyM on
Hi, I have some nasty malware I am trying to get rid of. My first attempt to
rid it was to run malwarebytes. But, the malware messed up this program and
wont let it run. Spybot S&D scans but takes hours. So i end up stopping it.
same with AVG and Adaware. I wonder if it is actually progressing in the
scans.

So, I attempted to go into safe mode. Thie virus/trojan does not let me get
into safe mode. It goes straight to reg mode. It starts to, but then goes
into reg mode. My wireless internet on my Laptop is off to keep stuff from
going out or in.
FOr now, I want to attempt scans in safe mode. But the malware is preventing
me from going in there. I need help in getting into safe mode in a different
way(s) to do these scans. ANy ideas? I thank you in advance.....

From: RustyM on
I am sorry i forgot to add this. Windows xp home edition sp2 IE7
UPDATE:
I went into msconfig>bootini> and checked the box for safemode. then re
booted. now the pc wont go into any mode. it wants to go into reg normal
windows mode, but just cant. the blue screen flashes a spilt second; then
goes back to safemode screen. nothing works. i can get into command propmt
but dont know what to type there.

also, i can access BIOS (blue / teal boxes) but again, dont know what to do
there. at this point i need to start windows normally because safe mode wont
do anything. ugh

--
Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

From: Peter Foldes on
Tell me that you do not have AVG,AdAware,Spybot,Malwarebytes and who knows what else
installed. Do you run them all separately or do you run some at the same time

--
Peter

From: Marcy on
i have all of these programs installed. I run the scanns individually. I
think that is what you are asking? I dont open up adaware, then SS&D and
scan them at the same time.
It they have live time monitoring, then they are doing what they are
supposed to do. SS&D has that tea time thing going on....WHy do you ask?
Could that be interferring also with my ability to scan in safe mode? Or
better yet, go to AND STAY in safe mode to work in that mode?

From: Mees de Roo on
For the "standard" approach of such problems you need access to a second
computer. On that you download one of the many (mostly iso) images for
stand-alone CD-bootable operating systems that are available on the net (you
must decide for yourself wether you prefer XP or linux versions; there are
rescue versions for most of them having partition/anti-virus/malware software
already installed). Boot the CD; update the anti-virus definitions; and
scan/repair. You might find that your remaining XP system is so bad that you
need to re-install it; in that case many of these CD's have backup-software
available too.
Modern versions for USB stick are also available; I'm not sure wether I would
like them unless you can hardware write-protect the stick.

Mees de Roo