From: MR on
Windows Xp home edition sp2 IE7-
I have the original Cd's that came new with my system 4 year ago.
In a huge effort to begin fixing some issues on my pc, I just aquired
another.
I was able to use my CD to get into the RConsole...Up until yest.

When I turned on my pc this morning to start working in the RC, it went
straight to the welcome screen.
NOTE: I cant boot into safe, nor reg Windows mode. I dont even hear the CD
spinning in its drive (laptop).
It has always worked before so, I cant understand it too, failing on me.

I think and hope that I can get into the BIOS (pressing F10) to 'force' the
pc to use the CD by changing the boot order. That is the only thing I think
I can do right now.
But, inorder to do this, I want it to be reversable to boot normally
afterwards. If this is possible, how can I do this sucessfully.
PS. I am taking this one step at a time. For now, I need to do some work in
the RC. If it works, I should be able to logon to Windows and begin my
cleaning (malware)-
PSS. I dont have a copy of the RC installed on my drive.

From: MR on
Please note that I read here another post, and got my pc to boot (made
changes in the BIOS)-
My CD-ROM is still functioning so I dont know what will happen next time I
restart my system.
Note my safemode is not working or reg windows logon.
Sorry for this post. But as far as booting from the CD making the changes, I
have taken that step forward.

--
Thanks so very much for your help-! ! ! !

From: MEB on
On 12/18/2009 11:24 AM, MR wrote:
> Please note that I read here another post, and got my pc to boot (made
> changes in the BIOS)-
> My CD-ROM is still functioning so I dont know what will happen next time I
> restart my system.
> Note my safemode is not working or reg windows logon.
> Sorry for this post. But as far as booting from the CD making the changes, I
> have taken that step forward.

Uhm, if you have malware issues AND these seem to affect your ability
to boot to Safe Mode or Recover Console you should look at alternative
methods such as a Live Boot malware/AV CD or one of the Live Boot Linux
compilations which can also be used for malware cleaning and other
modifications within one of the NT OSs.
The REASON for this suggestion is that whatever seems to be affecting
the boot process has already been loaded once the XP SP2 system boots.

What malware or virus are you attempting to remove?

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "MR" <MR(a)MR_Furn.com>

| Windows Xp home edition sp2 IE7-
| I have the original Cd's that came new with my system 4 year ago.
| In a huge effort to begin fixing some issues on my pc, I just aquired
| another.
| I was able to use my CD to get into the RConsole...Up until yest.

| When I turned on my pc this morning to start working in the RC, it went
| straight to the welcome screen.
| NOTE: I cant boot into safe, nor reg Windows mode. I dont even hear the CD
| spinning in its drive (laptop).
| It has always worked before so, I cant understand it too, failing on me.

| I think and hope that I can get into the BIOS (pressing F10) to 'force' the
| pc to use the CD by changing the boot order. That is the only thing I think
| I can do right now.
| But, inorder to do this, I want it to be reversable to boot normally
| afterwards. If this is possible, how can I do this sucessfully.
| PS. I am taking this one step at a time. For now, I need to do some work in
| the RC. If it works, I should be able to logon to Windows and begin my
| cleaning (malware)-
| PSS. I dont have a copy of the RC installed on my drive.

Why aren't you running SP3 ?

Why can't you just install the RC ?

...\i386\winnt32 /cmdcons

--
Dave

From: Mees de Roo on

>> Note my safemode is not working or reg windows logon.
>> Sorry for this post. But as far as booting from the CD making the changes,
>> have taken that step forward.
>>

> Uhm, if you have malware issues AND these seem to affect your ability
> to boot to Safe Mode or Recover Console you should look at alternative
> methods such as a Live Boot malware/AV CD or one of the Live Boot Linux
> compilations which can also be used for malware cleaning and other
> modifications within one of the NT OSs.

Make sure to check the actual content of the boot.ini file. Edit it (if found)
and force a safe mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
You would probably need a non-XP recovery/recue CD for that too.

Mees