From: SJ on
You should be able to boot from the CD, and use F10 again to make your
harddisk the default boot device. If you don't have a bootable CD in the
drive, it will go to the next boot device.
Depending on the manufacturer, you might be able to change the boot device
temporarily. For Dell it is F12.

Hope this help.

Regards,
SJ

From: SJ on
Sorry for the earlier message, I guess I didn't read the whole thread.
Could you give me more information about the infection you have. Even if you
are not able to boot into Safe Mode, it would still be possible to remove
the infection. I should know, coz I do it almost every day.

From: Daave on
What is the make and model of your laptop? Some PCs allow you to hit a
special key to reach a boot menu, which does not change the boot order
from your BIOS.

Then again, *anything* you do in the BIOS is reversible anyway. So if
there is no boot menu key, enter the BIOS and simply change the boot
order so it boots off the CD drive. You can always change it back. :-)

Actually some people prefer to always have the CD drive as the first
boot device, just in case they ever need to quickly boot off a CD. And
if there is no CD in the drive, the BIOS will simply boot off the next
device in the list. So if the second device is the hard drive and if the
CD tray is empty, you will booting off your hard drive as you normally
do.