From: Rob Rohrbough on
I haven't been following the thread closely, but has the original poster
tried:

x = input(y, ?? ANYDTDTEn.);
if rc = whatever... (with "?")
if x = . then whatever...

Check out the INPUT function with the "??" or "?" input control parameters.
Is this the thread that talked about SAS missing a year of the form "2BB6"?
If that fails, I would consider regular expressions in SAS9.

HTH,

Rob

Rob Rohrbough
Omaha, NE, USA