From: PingHe9 on
Hello,

SAS's survey procedures (proc surveyfreq and proc surveylogistic) can
pretty much accomplish the same tasks that were used to be done by
SUDAAN (proc crosstab and proc rlogist). When comparing the results,
you may find they provide the same point estimates, but slightly
different standard errors. SUDAAN has been the software used in most
published NHANES-related articles including those published in recent
years. I would appreciate your opinion as which software to use as I
am preparing a menuscript using NHANES data.

Thank you!

Ping

From: rjf2 on
> From: PingHe9(a)gmail.com

> SAS's survey procedures (proc surveyfreq and proc
> surveylogistic) can pretty much accomplish the same tasks that were
> used to be done by SUDAAN (proc crosstab and proc rlogist). When
> comparing the results, you may find they provide the same point
> estimates, but slightly different standard errors. SUDAAN has been the

> software used in most published NHANES-related articles including
> those published in recent years. I would appreciate your opinion as
> which software to use as I am preparing a menuscript using NHANES
> data.

There are a number of SUGI papers written about Sudaan

http://www.lexjansen.com/sugi/

.... hit send too soon:

sugi25.238
Analyzing Complex Sample Survey Data:
A New Beginning
Arlene B. Siller, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville,
MD.
ABSTRACT ... and an alternative program, SUDAAN. The paper will also
include ...
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi25/25/po/25p238.pdf

Ronald J. Fehd, IT Spec
team lead: Office of Statistical Software Support
... including Sudaan
From: rjf2 on
> From: PingHe9(a)gmail.com

> SAS's survey procedures (proc surveyfreq and proc
> surveylogistic) can pretty much accomplish the same tasks
> that were used to be done by SUDAAN (proc crosstab and proc
> rlogist). When comparing the results, you may find they
> provide the same point estimates, but slightly different
> standard errors. SUDAAN has been the software used in most
> published NHANES-related articles including those published
> in recent years. I would appreciate your opinion as which
> software to use as I am preparing a menuscript using NHANES data.

There are a number of SUGI papers written about Sudaan

http://www.lexjansen.com/sugi/

paper31.130:
SAS/AF, SAS/IntrNet, and ODS: Automation of State Health
Switched from using Sas(r)-callable Sudaan(r) procedures
to Proc Surveymeans.
Switching from SAS(r) version 8.2 to SAS(r) version 9.1 changed the
output from Proc ...
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/130-31.pdf - Similar pages

paper31.193:
Statistics and Data Analysis
Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me! You're Using the Wrong Proc!
David L. Cassell, Design Pathways, Corvallis, OR.
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/193-31.pdf - Similar pages

see also: 1997 paper by Donna Brogan of Emory University
discussing BRFSS data
comparing SAS v6.11 and Sudaan v7.

http://www.rti.org/sudaan/pdf_files/brogan.pdf
From: David L Cassell on
PingHe9(a)GMAIL.COM wrote:

>Hello,
>
>SAS's survey procedures (proc surveyfreq and proc surveylogistic) can
>pretty much accomplish the same tasks that were used to be done by
>SUDAAN (proc crosstab and proc rlogist). When comparing the results,
>you may find they provide the same point estimates, but slightly
>different standard errors. SUDAAN has been the software used in most
>published NHANES-related articles including those published in recent
>years. I would appreciate your opinion as which software to use as I
>am preparing a menuscript using NHANES data.
>
>Thank you!
>
>Ping

My experience has been that the point estimates are likely to have
almost exactly the same standard errors between the two tools.

There are people who have investigated these kinds of issues, and
you can use references to their papers in your own work. Here are two
which apply directly to your concerns:

U.S. Health and Nutrition: SAS� Survey Procedures and NHANES
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/140-31.pdf

The Big Four: Analyzing Complex Sample Survey Data
Using SAS, SPSS, STATA, and SUDAAN
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/172-31.pdf

So, if people kvetch about your using SAS, you can wave these
papers at them. Or you can try it both ways and publish your
own comparison! Once you have published such a comparison,
you can cite it over and over as evidence for your position in future
work...

HTH,
David
--
David L. Cassell
mathematical statistician

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here. Get all the scoop.
http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline2
From: rjf2 on
> From: PingHe
> Subject: Which to use, SAS or SUDAAN?

see also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_statistical_packages

Ron Fehd the google maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov