From: Greg on
I get these same sort of errors repeated in my log files. They are present
when I start samba and everything seems to work fine. However, after some
long period of time, I won't be able to connect to the samba shares from a
client. If I restart samba (/etc/init.d/samba restart), these errors are
entered again at that time but I will then be able to connect. I haven't
been able to find many answers yet...

Greg wrote:
> I get these same sort of errors repeated in my log files. They are present
> when I start samba and everything seems to work fine. However, after some
> long period of time, I won't be able to connect to the samba shares from a
> client. If I restart samba (/etc/init.d/samba restart), these errors are
> entered again at that time but I will then be able to connect. I haven't
> been able to find many answers yet...

What do you have idmap gid set to in smb.conf? And have you used up
this range?

Hmmm. Well, I don't have any of the idmap settings in smb.conf so it would
be whatever is default. I am using winbind just for the name resolution
functionality. But is this a misconfiguration? What other settings are
critical?

> I get these same sort of errors repeated in my log files. They are present
> when I start samba and everything seems to work fine. However, after some
> long period of time, I won't be able to connect to the samba shares from a
> client. If I restart samba (/etc/init.d/samba restart), these errors are
> entered again at that time but I will then be able to connect. I haven't
> been able to find many answers yet...

What do you have idmap gid set to in smb.conf? And have you used up
this range?

19:34:00

Hi Greg,

Greg wrote:
> Hmmm. Well, I don't have any of the idmap settings in smb.conf so it would
> be whatever is default. I am using winbind just for the name resolution
> functionality. But is this a misconfiguration? What other settings are
> critical?

Follow the winbind section:
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html

It has a sample smb.conf with all the necessary settings.