From: live.fx on

also test with connection between another linux node and server:

LinuxNode02 -> Server : NFS

LinuxNode02:~ # time cp -v /4GB_test.file /Server/Projects/
`/4GB_test.file' -> `/Server/Projects/4GB_test.file'

real 0m59.831s
user 0m0.120s
sys 0m7.692s

approx.speed = 69.4 MB/sec
-----------
Same server same file but trough SMB:
LinuxNode02 -> Server : SMB
LinuxNode02 :~ # time cp -v /4GB_test.file /mnt/Server/
`/4GB_test.file' -> `/mnt/Server/4GB_test.file'

real 2m58.724s
user 0m0.072s
sys 0m16.889s

approx.speed = 22.8 MB/sec
-------------

Same server and client. Same file. Same disk - RAID5. Same OS, but transfer
to SAMBA is very slow.
What can i do ?

Of course i try to setup samba on another computer and start to test it:
LinuxNode02:~ # time cp -v /4GB_test.file /mnt/Server2/test/4GB_test.file
`/4GB_test.file' -> `/mnt/Server2/test/4GB_test.file'

real 2m42.480s
user 0m0.108s
sys 0m17.373s

approx.speed = 25.8 MB/sec

=======
Another server, same speed, just a little bit faster. I think this because
Server2 - 8core Xeon, 8 Gb RAM, and 3 sata2 HDD - XFS filesystems.

SAMBA speed is very very slower instead of FTP and NFS.
What solutions, or where i can find it? May be some standard benchmarks?
Can SAMBA transfer files faster than 25 MB/sec ?
Someone have this transfer speed with SAMBA ?
I get about 51MB/sec over my gigabit LAN, serving from Samba 3.4.0 on
Ubuntu Karmic amd64 to smbclient 3.3.6 on FreeBSD 7.3-R amd64.

5tb# smbclient -I 192.168.0.20 -U user //192.168.0.20/share -c "get 1G.bin"
Enter user's password:
Domain=[BANSHEE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]
getting file \1G.bin of size 1073741824 as 1G.bin (50717.1 kb/s)
(average 50717.1 kb/s)

For comparison, the same transfer gets 54.8 MB/sec by FTP (using
pure-ftpd on the Ubuntu Karmic machine and wget on the FreeBSD 7.2-R
machine). CIFS is a lot heavier than FTP, so this probably represents
"as good as it's going to get" on this particular network.

(And your gigabit network may very well be faster than mine - mine's all
cheap off-the-shelf SOHO parts.)

Jim Salter-2 wrote:

> I get about 51MB/sec over my gigabit LAN, serving from Samba 3.4.0 on
> Ubuntu Karmic amd64 to smbclient 3.3.6 on FreeBSD 7.3-R amd64.
> 5tb# smbclient -I 192.168.0.20 -U user //192.168.0.20/share -c "get
> 1G.bin"
> Enter user's password:
> Domain=[BANSHEE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]
> getting file \1G.bin of size 1073741824 as 1G.bin (50717.1 kb/s)
> (average 50717.1 kb/s)
>
> For comparison, the same transfer gets 54.8 MB/sec by FTP (using
> pure-ftpd on the Ubuntu Karmic machine and wget on the FreeBSD 7.2-R
> machine). CIFS is a lot heavier than FTP, so this probably represents
> "as good as it's going to get" on this particular network.
>
> (And your gigabit network may very well be faster than mine - mine's all
> cheap off-the-shelf SOHO parts.)

Big thanks for testing! Today i found 2 PC-s in this chaotic LAN, they do
transfer speeds from 50 MB/sec (in both directions) and one Windows 7
machine with 80-100 MB/s.
This fact removes all claim from SAMBA server.

Thanks for testing!