From: Warren Block on
tim1948 <iconoklastic(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2:01 pm, Warren Block <wbl...(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
>> tim1948 <iconoklas...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > The first question is, where is samba.conf (or maybe it's smb4.conf),
>> > because I can't find it. From Freshports, this remark: "Default
>> > configuration file was moved to ${LOCALBASE}/etc/smb4.conf to avoid
>> > conflicts with the installed net/samba3"
>>
>> $LOCALBASE is /usr/local by default.  So port binaries install in
>> /usr/local/bin and config files in /usr/local/etc (sometimes under a
>> subdir named after the port).
>>
>> A config file might not be installed by default, or a sample one may
>> have been installed with a similar name (smb4.conf.sample).
>
> So it's in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, along with some other services.

rc.d is for start/stop scripts. If you put a config file there, it'll
probably be ignored.

> The default config is /usr/local/etc/smb.4, which should be fine if
> there's no samba3 config file there. (There's no example smb4.conf
> file already there, so it must have the same format.)

I don't know, but the scary message shown after installing samba4 has
pointers for information.

From: tim1948 on
On Apr 26, 3:42 pm, Warren Block <wbl...(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
> tim1948 <iconoklas...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> $LOCALBASE is /usr/local by default.  So port binaries install in
> >> /usr/local/bin and config files in /usr/local/etc (sometimes under a
> >> subdir named after the port).
>
> >> A config file might not be installed by default, or a sample one may
> >> have been installed with a similar name (smb4.conf.sample).
>
> > So it's in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, along with some other services.
>
> rc.d is for start/stop scripts.  If you put a config file there, it'll
> probably be ignored.
>
> > The default config is /usr/local/etc/smb.4, which should be fine if
> > there's no samba3 config file there. (There's no example smb4.conf
> > file already there, so it must have the same format.)
>
> I don't know, but the scary message shown after installing samba4 has
> pointers for information.
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

The term "provision" has some relevance to Samba 4. I get the
impression that it isn't the right choice for a typical user.