From: tim1948 on
That's what was installed during setup. Why not try it?

The first question is, where is samba.conf (or maybe it's smb4.conf),
because I can't find it. From Freshports, this remark: "Default
configuration file was moved to ${LOCALBASE}/etc/smb4.conf to avoid
conflicts with the installed net/samba3"

So where might that be? Since Samba 3 isn't there at all, it could
actually go in /usr/local/etc, if that's what it's name is supposed to
be. (Apart from that, if it is started in the usual way, its
configuration shouldn't seem too strange.)
From: mikea on
tim1948 <iconoklastic(a)yahoo.com> wrote in <7fcf61b8-b476-46f3-a56d-4587f2db4797(a)x18g2000prb.googlegroups.com>:
> That's what was installed during setup. Why not try it?
>
> The first question is, where is samba.conf (or maybe it's smb4.conf),
> because I can't find it. From Freshports, this remark: "Default
> configuration file was moved to ${LOCALBASE}/etc/smb4.conf to avoid
> conflicts with the installed net/samba3"
>
> So where might that be? Since Samba 3 isn't there at all, it could
> actually go in /usr/local/etc, if that's what it's name is supposed to
> be. (Apart from that, if it is started in the usual way, its
> configuration shouldn't seem too strange.)

Try `grep -rin samba /usr/local/etc/*' for a start.
If you don't see useful stuff, back up a directory level and try
`grep -rin samba /usr/local/*'.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea(a)mikea.ath.cx
From: Warren Block on
tim1948 <iconoklastic(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> That's what was installed during setup. Why not try it?

Huh?

> The first question is, where is samba.conf (or maybe it's smb4.conf),
> because I can't find it. From Freshports, this remark: "Default
> configuration file was moved to ${LOCALBASE}/etc/smb4.conf to avoid
> conflicts with the installed net/samba3"

$LOCALBASE is /usr/local by default. So port binaries install in
/usr/local/bin and config files in /usr/local/etc (sometimes under a
subdir named after the port).

A config file might not be installed by default, or a sample one may
have been installed with a similar name (smb4.conf.sample).

From: tim1948 on
On Apr 26, 2:01 pm, Warren Block <wbl...(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
> tim1948 <iconoklas...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > That's what was installed during setup. Why not try it?
>
> Huh?
>
> > The first question is, where is samba.conf (or maybe it's smb4.conf),
> > because I can't find it. From Freshports, this remark: "Default
> > configuration file was moved to ${LOCALBASE}/etc/smb4.conf to avoid
> > conflicts with the installed net/samba3"
>
> $LOCALBASE is /usr/local by default.  So port binaries install in
> /usr/local/bin and config files in /usr/local/etc (sometimes under a
> subdir named after the port).
>
> A config file might not be installed by default, or a sample one may
> have been installed with a similar name (smb4.conf.sample).
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

So it's in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, along with some other services. The
default config is /usr/local/etc/smb.4, which should be fine if
there's no samba3 config file there. (There's no example smb4.conf
file already there, so it must have the same format.)
From: Bob Eager on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 14:49:48 -0700, tim1948 wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2:01 pm, Warren Block <wbl...(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
>> tim1948 <iconoklas...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > That's what was installed during setup. Why not try it?
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> > The first question is, where is samba.conf (or maybe it's smb4.conf),
>> > because I can't find it. From Freshports, this remark: "Default
>> > configuration file was moved to ${LOCALBASE}/etc/smb4.conf to avoid
>> > conflicts with the installed net/samba3"
>>
>> $LOCALBASE is /usr/local by default.  So port binaries install in
>> /usr/local/bin and config files in /usr/local/etc (sometimes under a
>> subdir named after the port).
>>
>> A config file might not be installed by default, or a sample one may
>> have been installed with a similar name (smb4.conf.sample).
>>
>> --
>> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA
>
> So it's in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, along with some other services. The
> default config is /usr/local/etc/smb.4, which should be fine if there's
> no samba3 config file there. (There's no example smb4.conf file already
> there, so it must have the same format.)

Try looking in /usr/local/share/samba4/setup - there may be some examples
there. (samba4 might be a slightly different name)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org