From: Eric Woltermann on
Hi all,

for some weeks now I am trying to set up Samba4 (alpha9) with an
OpenLDAP 2.4.17 backend as an AD PDC for my XP/7 clients. It was working
for some time with Samba's integrated LDAP facility, however I could not
figure out how to use this database e.g. to authenticate my IMAP users
against (bind-dn, port etc.).
OpenLDAP was compiled from source using --enable-modules=yes and
--enable-overlays=yes. Provisioning samba using the command line

setup/provision --ldap-backend-type=openldap
--slapd-path="/usr/sbin/slapd" --username=samba-admin
--realm=localdomain --domain=Heimnetz --server-role='domain controller'
--adminpass=somepass

ran through, although there were errors about slapd (id2entry.bdb not
found, NT_STATUS_UNEXPECTED_NETWORK_ERROR, slapd unable to start).
Afterwards, slapd and samba start fine, I can join machines to the
domain "Heimnetz" (DNS is also working properly), login using the
"administrator" account and have a look at the AD via dsa.msc.
Was is NOT working is the creation of new users. Doing that in dsa.msc
failes with an error message about password policies, but this is
probably not yet implemented, right?
Going the howto-way, "<source-dir>/setup/newuser blah" prompts for a
password, displays messages about skipping the loading of schema, naming
context details and domain details, and then failes with the following
error message:

_ldb.LdbError: (32, 'objectclass: Cannot add
CN=blah,CN=Users,DC=localdomain, parent does not exist!')

Parsing the logs of slapd I see that "newuser" performs several searches
in the directory that slapd all answers with err=32
(LDAP_NO_SUCH_OBJECT), although in phpLDAPadmin I can see that the
requested objects exist, including CN=Users,DC=localdomain with 19
entries after a fresh provisioning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Eric