From: Uri Simchoni on

Hi,

I googled around and the general wisdom seems to be that oplocks provide a performance gain if files are accessed by a single client at a time (that is, if the oplock does not break).

What I can't figure out is what test can show this performance gain. I mean, theoretically, document-editing applications (Word,excel) save and load whole files and hence do not benefit from oplocks. Applications which do modify portions of a file usually flush buffers to maintain transactional integrity and hence should not benefit from oplocks either.

So, how can I demonstrate the benefit of oplocks?

Thanks,
Uri.