From: Jansen Robert on
Dear all,

We recently upgraded an old samba 3.0.10 to 3.4.6 due to broken quota when
moving from Veritas to NFS mounts from a Cellera EMC.

Anyway,

Our samba passwd backend is a smbpasswd file.
This file is generated from a database.

Recently we see that some PC clients manage to change the LANMAN field in
the smbpasswd file.

e.g.

userabc:108:364CBAE2BB8E8B05C2265B23734E0DAC:105F5CD7D6E85B97EDC2677D47C6B173:[U
]:LCT-4977B700:

get changed to

userabc:108:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:105F5CD7D6E85B97EDC2677D47C6B173:[U
]:LCT-4977B700:

Users do NOT have access to the smbpasswd binary, so it's via a client
request
(verified this via a Win 7 client trying the change his Samba passwd)

Can anyone shed some light on why this happens in the 3.4.6 version ?
We actually do not want this to happen as the smbpasswd file is getting
out of sync with our database.

As far as I understand all the smb.conf options with their default setting
should prevent changes in the smbpasswd file.

Here's our smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
server string = ACME Samba
log level = 01
log file = /tmp/SAMBA/logs/log.%m
max log size = 200
name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
load printers = No
dns proxy = No
ldap ssl = no
create mask = 0600