From: David Adam on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, csirt wrote:
> Hi,
> which version of Samba do i need, when i want to run Win 7 Clients ?
> At the moment i am running Samba version 3.0.28a with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7 suggests you will need a Samba
3.4 or 3.3 version; 3.4.0 and 3.3.7 or above apparently work.

David Adam
David,
thank you! Silly enough i wrote the page, only recognising the registry
hacks not the required Samba version.

Are there any pitfalls while upgrading from 3.0.x to 3.3 or above? Which is
the recommende Version i should upgrade to?

regards

On 03/16/2010 03:19 AM, csirt wrote:
> David,
> thank you! Silly enough i wrote the page, only recognising the registry
> hacks not the required Samba version.
>
> Are there any pitfalls while upgrading from 3.0.x to 3.3 or above? Which is
> the recommende Version i should upgrade to?
>
> regards
>

> 2010/3/16 David Adam<zanchey(a)ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>
>

>> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, csirt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> which version of Samba do i need, when i want to run Win 7 Clients ?
>>> At the moment i am running Samba version 3.0.28a with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
>>>
>> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7 suggests you will need a Samba
>> 3.4 or 3.3 version; 3.4.0 and 3.3.7 or above apparently work.
>>
>> David Adam

I moved one server from 3.0.x to 3.4.x. I had an
"ou=groups,o=mydomain.com" entry for my unix groups and an
"ou=smb_groups,o=mydomain.com" for my group mapping entries. The
"Domain Users" group mapped to a unix group called "samba_domusers."
(same with other well known groups.) Samba 3.4 read through the entire
ldap tree so I ended up with some duplication. Since the group mapping
was messed up, any thing that involved the "Domain Users" being part of
local users on a particular machine wouldn't work right.

I got ride of the "ou=smb_groups" container, renamed samba_domusers unix
group to "Domain Users" (and so one for the other groups.)

I also added following to smb.conf

guest account = smb_nobody

And all seemed OK.

2010/3/16 Zaeem Arshad <zaeem.arshad(a)gmail.com>

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:49 AM, csirt <csirteam(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > which version of Samba do i need, when i want to run Win 7 Clients ?
> > At the moment i am running Samba version 3.0.28a with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
> >
> > regards
>
> I am using 3.4.3-41 without any issues.
>
> --
> Zaeem

Hi,
Now i am confused about the different tribes 3.3x, 3.4x. 3.5x of samba.
I could not find something about it on samba.org.
Which one i should go for ? What are the major-differences between the
three?

regards
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 1:28 PM, csirt <csirteam(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2010/3/16 Zaeem Arshad <zaeem.arshad(a)gmail.com>
>
>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:49 AM, csirt <csirteam(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > which version of Samba do i need, when i want to run Win 7 Clients ?
>> > At the moment i am running Samba version 3.0.28a with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
>> >
>> > regards
>>
>> I am using 3.4.3-41 without any issues.
>>
>> --
>> Zaeem
>>

> Hi,
> Now i am confused about the different tribes 3.3x, 3.4x. 3.5x of samba.
> I could not find something about it on samba.org.
> Which one i should go for ? What are the major-differences between the
> three?

3.3.12 or 3.4.7 are the best versions for production systems in my
opinion. 3.5 adds experimental smb2 support but I like to wait a few
months before running a new series in production.

3.4.X series added a rewrite of the printing code but this broke 64
bit printing until the 3.4.6 version.

John