From: christoph.beyer on
Hi Bill,

I am using clustered samba printing for a couple of years and it works fine,
this is my setup:

3 sun server with sun cluster, let's call them samba1 samba2 and samba3 are
individually joined to the windows domain using the hostnames samba1/2/3.

Through the sun cluster they use together a shared address called 'printserver'
with the 'bind interface only' option set to the shared hostname I have a
loadbalanced samba setup for printing.

To make sure all server use the same config I have 'ntforms.tdb',
'printers.tdb' and 'ntdrivers.tdb' on a shared global storage, linked via
symlink into the three local samba/var/locks dirs. The 'samba printcap' is
shared globally as well as the 'drivers' dir of cause.

One thing about this construction is that samba1/2/3 still and always publish
the printers over ther local ip adress though they will not accept a connection
over these adresses. You need a firewall to get rid of this or unconfigure
those printer in the AD.

For some reason I have a cron restart running every morning, this is nice to
get rid of old processes and connections and to have a fresh start from the
ground for all three nodes...

Hope this helps, don't hesitate to write me e-mail if you have further
questions, well and maybe I got it all wrong and there is a much more clever
idea about clustered printing, love to hear something about it then
;)

cheers
christoph

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Bill Morris wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm part of a Novell department that is working on
> moving from Novell NDPS printing to Samba printing.
>
> I have been told that the Samba environment will
> have to be clustered to assure the same level of
> redundancy for printing.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers? Whether actual
> experience in this or a location of good
> documentation of the clustering process?
>
> Thanks for any assistance,
> Bill Morris
>
> Bill Morris (bill_morris(a)ncsu.edu)
> Systems & Hosted Systems
> North Carolina State University

best regards
~ christoph

--
/* Christoph Beyer | Office: Building 2b / 23 *\
* DESY | Phone: 040-8998-2317 *

Hi Bill,