From: John Drescher on
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Ally Biggs <bluechrome(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello everyone I am new to this mailing list,
>
> I wish to setup a PDC at home using Samba and LDAP, my main concern is that I have a few Windows 7 machines which will be joining the Domain. I researched a few forums and have seen that people have been having trouble with getting 7 and Samba to work. Has anyone had any sucess in setting up a Domain controller to work with Windows 7.

Yes. They work fine together. You need samba-3.3.X or greater. 3.4.X
does not allow printing under 64 bit clients but 3.3 or 3.5 are good.

To logon the domain you will need the registry entries for samba 3.4.X, 3.3.X

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

John
John Drescher wrote:
>Yes. They work fine together. You need samba-3.3.X or greater. 3.4.X
>does not allow printing under 64 bit clients but 3.3 or 3.5 are good.

I was about to upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4 until I read that. Is the 64-bit
printing issue going to be fixed in the 3.4 series?

Moray.
"To err is human. To purr, feline"

>>Yes. They work fine together. You need samba-3.3.X or greater. 3.4.X
>>does not allow printing under 64 bit clients but 3.3 or 3.5 are good.
>
> I was about to upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4 until I read that.  Is the 64-bit
> printing issue going to be fixed in the 3.4 series?

Fixed in the 3.5 series although I have not verified that.

John
> Are there any changes I need to implement on the Windows 7 Clients to get
> them to see Samba Shares??

Seeing the shares even worked with the unsupported/deprecated 3.0.36
with no changes.
Joining the domain requires 3.3.X and above and the registry entries.

John
On 03/04/2010 03:22 AM, Moray Henderson wrote:
> John Drescher wrote:
>> Yes. They work fine together. You need samba-3.3.X or greater. 3.4.X
>> does not allow printing under 64 bit clients but 3.3 or 3.5 are good.
>
> I was about to upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4 until I read that. Is the 64-bit
> printing issue going to be fixed in the 3.4 series?

Suggest you visit the samba web site: http://www.samba.org

In the right column is a link to the release notes for 3.4.6

I think it says something like:
o Fix printing with 64 bit clients (bug #6888).

- John T.