From: tms3 on

> Any suggestions (beyond "scrap it all and start over with the proper
> solution") are greatly appreciated.

Openfiler (http://www.openfiler.com/ Linux based) or FreeNAS
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/ FreeBSD based) as an NFS
server. You should be able to use pam_winbind winbind AD domain
joining and idmaping to manage ID's across the Linux WS's and the NAS.
Have the Linux WS's mount the /home (or whatever you're using for the
*nix users) directory as an NFS share from the NAS.

Cheers,
TMS III

> Thanks,
> Nick Betcher, CPhT
> Certified Pharmacy Technician
I guess I've always known this, but I suppose you can't have Linux
synchronize profiles like Windows does simply because X.org and the other
systems don't really work together to "log off" a user like Windows does (an
automatically synchronize their profile back to the server).

Anyways, now that I've had my epiphany about how that all really works, why
use NFS? Why not just use CIFS? I mean, it would be a lot easier because
then there wouldn't be any username/access/permissions hell. I realize NFS
may be more stable/reliable in theory, but CIFS seems like such an easier
solution considering it would be storing everything using the same
credentials for the Kerberos login. One thing that does concern me about
CIFS - and this is likely why you stated I should use NFS - is
sockets/symlinks may not play nicely with CIFS? Or is that a myth now days?