From: Jeremy Allison on
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 02:23:51PM -0700, CJ Keist wrote:
> All,
> Looking for some help here. Not finding anything on the net that
> looks the same as what I'm seeing. Running Solaris 10 Sparc, on a
> Sunfire 5220, 16Gb of RAM. Samba version 3.4.5 and using ZFS file
> systems with user quotas.
>
> All cifs clients shares to this server freeze after about 10 to 15
> minutes of connectivity. Only fix is to restart samba. I'm not
> getting any errors from samba or on the /var/adm/messages or
> /var/log/syslog files. Totally stumped here. This freezing also
> happened with 3.4.0.

Can you attach to a frozen smbd with truss to
see where it might be stuck. Or alternatively
ensure you are built with symbols, attach to
the frozen process with gdb and get a backtrace
using the "bt" command.

Jeremy.
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 03:53:06PM -0700, CJ Keist wrote:
> Jermey,
> Thank you for your response. I don't have gdb installed but
> here is truss of my share until it froze.

It's blocked in an fcntl lock call on file descriptor 13.
Unfortunately your truss trace doesn't show the open of
fd 13, so I don't know what file this is. As it's an
wait lock I'm guessing this is a tdb file.

Install gdb next, and get the backtrace for more details.

Jeremy.
Jermey,
Will work on getting a trace back with gdb. I'm now seeing in the
log files for clients this error:

[2010/01/21 09:19:01, 0] smbd/oplock.c:317(oplock_timeout_handler)
Oplock break failed for file mozilla/thunderbird/pluginreg.dat --
replying anyway

What's strange is this error only occurs with our terminal servers,
where we have multiple users logged in. All other single clients do not
show this error at all? And it is with our terminal server users that
are seeing the most problems with the shares freezing up or acting very
slow.

--
C. J. Keist Email: cj.keist(a)colostate.edu
UNIX/Network Manager Phone: 970-491-0630

All I want is a chance to prove 'Money can't buy happiness'
Jermey,