From: Whit Blauvelt on
Hi,

I've been through a long discussion of this on the CentOS list, where people
are quite helpful, yet we've gotten nowhere with it.

With smbd Version 3.0.33-3.14.el5 on two different CentOS 5.4 64-bit boxes,
"/etc/init.d/smb start" reports OK for both nmbd and smbd, but an instant
later smbd stops running, with no errors reported - just fails, no matter
what logging level is requested of it. Also, "service smb start" fails.

On the other hand, "smbd -D" starts and runs smbd just fine, if done from a
console. Also "sh /etc/init.d/smb start" runs it just fine, if from a
console. (sh = bash on CentOS, and the smb script itself specifies /bin/sh.)
These are all consistent; what works works, what doesn't doesn't. I haven't
found any invocation that works on system reboot, so am stuck doing it by
hand for now. Changing envars so that, for instance, they are only what are
available to "service smb start" still allows the manual "smbd -D" to work,
so it doesn't seem to be about the shell or environment as such. Perhaps
there's some timing issue that for instance allows "sh /etc/init.d/smb
start" to work while "/etc/init.d/smb start" doesn't? In both cases the same
bash shell is asked to run the same smb script; there should be no
difference at all; yet consistently there is.

This _may_ relate to these boxes being set up with smbpasswd as the back
end, to match existing, working Redhat 5.4 boxes (Version
3.0.33-3.15.el5_4) and a Redhat 5.2 box (Version 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1), as
smbpasswd is not the default setup on CentOS. But I can't see how that
should put it in a position to start with the invocations that work, while
failing on those that don't.

Thanks in advance,
Whit