From: Whit Blauvelt on
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 01:27:24PM -0700, tms3(a)tms3.com wrote:

> @reboot root /<path>/<to>/smbd -D (or you could run the script with
> full path statement)

Hmm. Good idea. But didn't do the trick, but meanwhile I'd also upgraded to
smbd version 3.0.33-3.28.el5 - which wasn't working any better really.
Except now finally there's an error message, a clue!

May 25 16:40:05 xyz smbd[4092]: [2010/05/25 16:40:05, 0] lib/messages.c:message_init(132)
May 25 16:40:05 xyz smbd[4092]: ERROR: Failed to initialise messages database

That error doesn't occur with "smbd -D" though. Off to Google it....

Thanks,
Whit
Whit Blauvelt wrote:
>With smbd Version 3.0.33-3.14.el5 on two different CentOS 5.4 64-bit
boxes,
>"/etc/init.d/smb start" reports OK for both nmbd and smbd, but an
instant
>later smbd stops running, with no errors reported - just fails, no
matter
>what logging level is requested of it. Also, "service smb start" fails.
>
>On the other hand, "smbd -D" starts and runs smbd just fine, if done
from
>console. Also "sh /etc/init.d/smb start" runs it just fine, if from a
>console. (sh = bash on CentOS, and the smb script itself specifies
>/bin/sh.)

That feels as if it could be an SELinux problem. If your initscript has
been edited and picked up the wrong context, smbd will not have all the
permissions it normally gets. Try

ls -Z /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
restorecon -v /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Moray Henderson <
Moray.Henderson(a)ict-software.org> wrote:

> Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> >With smbd Version 3.0.33-3.14.el5 on two different CentOS 5.4 64-bit
> boxes,
> >"/etc/init.d/smb start" reports OK for both nmbd and smbd, but an
> instant
> >later smbd stops running, with no errors reported - just fails, no
> matter
> >what logging level is requested of it. Also, "service smb start" fails.
> >
> >On the other hand, "smbd -D" starts and runs smbd just fine, if done
> from
> >console. Also "sh /etc/init.d/smb start" runs it just fine, if from a
> >console. (sh = bash on CentOS, and the smb script itself specifies
> >/bin/sh.)
>
> That feels as if it could be an SELinux problem. If your initscript has
> been edited and picked up the wrong context, smbd will not have all the
> permissions it normally gets. Try
>
> ls -Z /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
> restorecon -v /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
>

> Moray.
> "To err is human. To purr, feline"

To test if it is selinux you might try with selinux set to permissive. I
had all kinds of troubles getting samba 3.0.33 working on centos 5.4, 64-bit
until I tried that. Good luck.