From: Frank Huttner on
Hello,

we have some trouble with our Win7 clients accessing our Samba server.

OS: RHEL 5.5 (same with RHEL 4)
Sambaversion: 3.5.3 (same with 3.3.8)
Sambaconfig:

    security = ADS
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    oplocks = yes
    level2 oplocks = yes
    kernel oplocks = no

The problems begin when users want to make their samba shares available offline. The sync process on the Win7 clients begins and after a few minutes a lot of errors were displayed:

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

In the samba logs you can see: "Oplock break failed for file ..."

Concerning "offline folder" problems in the context Vista/Win7 and Samba a lot of recommendations can be found to use the oplock settings described above - but unfortunately that didn't fix the problem. Another guess was to deactivate the virusscan ... but still the same error.
It doesen't matter whether the data is located locally on the samba server or will be accessed via NFS.

The oplocks are enabled on Win7 by default but for debug reasons I disabled them via registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters OplocksDisabled = 1

(after disabling SMB2) but that resulted in even more errors during the offline folder sync so I re-enabled the oplocks on the client again.

Next step was to blame any (hidden) group policy setting. So I installed a fresh standalone Win7 client, connected a samba share, "make available offline" ... and again ... after a few minutes a lot of sync errors:

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Mapping the group/userIDs with/or without winbind makes also no difference. With Winbind the IDs from the Active Directory were used without any problems and without Winbind it also works with NIS but the "offline folder" errors are still the same.

Does anyone use Win7 <> Samba and can take a Samba share offline without any errors ?