From: weberhart7 on

I have Samsung HD753lj HDD in an external enclosure used for backup. It
worked fine one day then the next day I am having problems. When I
connect it, the main computer dings,telling me something is connected.
It spins up then starts clicking then is silent. I disconnect the
Samsung and my comcomputer dings again.

I have lots of data on this drive and don't wnat to lose it. What can
I do on my own to rcovery the data?:confused:

From: Rod Speed on
weberhart7 wrote:

> I have Samsung HD753lj HDD in an external enclosure used for backup.
> It worked fine one day then the next day I am having problems. When I
> connect it, the main computer dings,telling me something is connected.
> It spins up then starts clicking then is silent. I disconnect the
> Samsung and my comcomputer dings again.

> I have lots of data on this drive and don't wnat to lose it.
> What can I do on my own to rcovery the data?:confused:

Try a different external enclosure and put the drive in that.

From: Cronos on
weberhart7 wrote:
> I have Samsung HD753lj HDD in an external enclosure used for backup. It
> worked fine one day then the next day I am having problems. When I
> connect it, the main computer dings,telling me something is connected.
> It spins up then starts clicking then is silent. I disconnect the
> Samsung and my comcomputer dings again.
>
> I have lots of data on this drive and don't wnat to lose it. What can
> I do on my own to rcovery the data?:confused:

Does the external enclosure get power over just USB or does it have it's
own power source? USB can cause this issue if the device is not getting
the needed amount of power. I was having this issue one day and when I
looked at the external case saw that the PSU pin had fallen out and was
all the issue was.
From: Mike S. on

In article <7qc7u0FhnqU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>weberhart7 wrote:
>
>> I have Samsung HD753lj HDD in an external enclosure used for backup.
>> It worked fine one day then the next day I am having problems. When I
>> connect it, the main computer dings,telling me something is connected.
>> It spins up then starts clicking then is silent. I disconnect the
>> Samsung and my comcomputer dings again.
>
>> I have lots of data on this drive and don't wnat to lose it.
>> What can I do on my own to rcovery the data?:confused:
>
>Try a different external enclosure and put the drive in that.

Are enclosures interchangeable?

Is there any difference to what the PC "sees" if the same drive is
connected to USB via different SATA-USB bridge chipsets? Does any
translation of geometry take place which could be done differently by a
different enclosure?

From: Rod Speed on
Mike S. wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> weberhart7 wrote

>>> I have Samsung HD753lj HDD in an external enclosure used for backup.
>>> It worked fine one day then the next day I am having problems.
>>> When I connect it, the main computer dings,telling me something is
>>> connected. It spins up then starts clicking then is silent. I
>>> disconnect the Samsung and my comcomputer dings again.

>>> I have lots of data on this drive and don't wnat to lose it.
>>> What can I do on my own to rcovery the data?:confused:

>> Try a different external enclosure and put the drive in that.

> Are enclosures interchangeable?

You do need to ensure that it takes the drive type you have, usually
SATA now, but some of the older ones used PATA/IDE drives.

> Is there any difference to what the PC "sees" if the same drive
> is connected to USB via different SATA-USB bridge chipsets?

Not with that basic used. There can be with whether
you can get the SMART data from the drive tho.

> Does any translation of geometry take place which
> could be done differently by a different enclosure?

Nope, that is done by the drive, not the bridge.