From: Cronos on
Not my words but wanted your input on the below: especially Rod Speed.

"And then there are people who do more than write for magazines, have
decades of real-world experience, who work with small systems to systems
with hundreds of terra-bytes....

My experience with Windows NTFS and file fragmentation gives me 100%
confidence that performance is increased when the file system is not
fragmented. This holds true across single and multi-drive systems.

The benefit is seen at different levels and is based on the amount of
fragments, their location on the physical disk(s) and how much an app
uses those files.

I've seen SQL queries fail because of fragmented SQL Database files, not
just fragmented indexes, but a database file with 30,000+ fragments.
Same for web site performance, where an app serves PDF files and allows
changes to those PDF files - 8 million PDF files, hundreds of millions
of fragments in less than a years time, and random app failures as more
and more users connect - a defrag completely cured the problem.

On servers, depending on how many ADD/DELETES you do, they also benefit
from unfragmented files, same with roaming profiles, same with a single
computer reading a large (4GB file), etc....

Most people could easily get by with a yearly full defrag, with
compacting space, and they would notice the difference, others may do it
monthly or every 6 months.....

If you've used your computer, heavily, for a year and don't notice any
benefit after a full defrag and compacting then you really won't notice
much else about your computer."
From: 3877 on
Ed Light wrote:
> On 1/3/2010 9:43 PM, Cronos wrote:
>> Not my words but wanted your input on the below: especially Rod
>> Speed.

> Lots of people have Rod filtered out. I wouldn't take him seriously, nor ever read his posts.

Everyone ignores yours.

From: David Brown on
Cronos wrote:
> Not my words but wanted your input on the below: especially Rod Speed.

Would these be words taken from the adverts for commercial defrag software?

> I've seen SQL queries fail because of fragmented SQL Database files, not
> just fragmented indexes, but a database file with 30,000+ fragments.
> Same for web site performance, where an app serves PDF files and allows
> changes to those PDF files - 8 million PDF files, hundreds of millions
> of fragments in less than a years time, and random app failures as more
> and more users connect - a defrag completely cured the problem.

Applications know nothing about the fragmentation of files. It is
conceivable, but unlikely, that fragmentation could slow down the file
access and that the sql queries are failing with timeouts - other than
speed, there is no way for fragmentation to influence an application.
Of course, the situation would require a badly written (or badly
configured) OS, and badly written (or badly configured) database server,
and a system so overloaded that it is on the verge of collapse anyway.

And of course almost no one with any knowledge or experience would run a
huge database on an NTFS file system. There are good reasons why big
serious databases use direct disk IO rather than going through an
operating system's file system layers, or at least run on an operating
system and file system suitable for such server applications.

From: Cronos on
Ed Light wrote:
> On 1/3/2010 9:43 PM, Cronos wrote:
>> Not my words but wanted your input on the below: especially Rod Speed.
> Lots of people have Rod filtered out. I wouldn't take him seriously, nor
> ever read his posts.

Wasn't just Rod but a few other people in this group claimed defrag is
never needed too but he is the one peson in this group who I have seen
state it many times over the years and I think he is FOS and is giving
bad advice.
From: Cronos on
David Brown wrote:
> Cronos wrote:
>> Not my words but wanted your input on the below: especially Rod Speed.
>>

> Would these be words taken from the adverts for commercial defrag software?

Nope. They are from a poster in another Usenet group when the subject
came up. He said he didn't want to get involved in a flamewar here so I
am posting what he said anonymously and will post the replies back to
him. I like a good flamewar, myself.