From: Dave U. Random on
End User Blog

For the uninitiated, the ioSafe Solo is really the Helm's
Deep (Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helm's_Deep )
of external hard drives. For those among us with the desire
to preserve data in the face of total meltdown, ioSafe does
just that: according to the company the ioSafe Solo can
withstand temperatures of 1550F for a half an hour and can
be fully immersed in 10 ft. of water for three days (with
their DataCast and HydroSafe Technologies respectively).
Coming anywhere from 500GB ($149) to 2TB capacity (around
$280), the ioSafe Solo isn't too shabby with storage space,
either.

Other features include USB 2.0 data transfer, up to
480Mb/s, and total compatibility with Windows, Mac, and
Linux alike. It also utilizes what they call "physical
theft protection", i.e. the ability to physically bolt
and/or lock the unit to a table or wall.That, and it's
really, really heavy, which I'm sure is a decent deterrent
for theft...

Continued: http://u.nu/4hzg4

From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Dave U. Random <anonymous(a)anonymitaet-im-inter.net> wrote:
> End User Blog

> For the uninitiated, the ioSafe Solo is really the Helm's
> Deep (Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helm's_Deep )
> of external hard drives. For those among us with the desire
> to preserve data in the face of total meltdown, ioSafe does
> just that: according to the company the ioSafe Solo can
> withstand temperatures of 1550F for a half an hour and can
> be fully immersed in 10 ft. of water for three days (with
> their DataCast and HydroSafe Technologies respectively).
> Coming anywhere from 500GB ($149) to 2TB capacity (around
> $280), the ioSafe Solo isn't too shabby with storage space,
> either.

> Other features include USB 2.0 data transfer, up to
> 480Mb/s, and total compatibility with Windows, Mac, and
> Linux alike. It also utilizes what they call "physical
> theft protection", i.e. the ability to physically bolt
> and/or lock the unit to a table or wall.That, and it's
> really, really heavy, which I'm sure is a decent deterrent
> for theft...

> Continued: http://u.nu/4hzg4

I would like to see someone open one of these and make
photographs. Might actually be an useful product. Basically
a ultra-ruggedized external USB drive at a bout twice the
price of an ordinary one.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----