From: Arno on
Ed Light <nobody(a)nobody.there> wrote:
> Rod Speed. Ugh. Had forgotten him. Guess I'll have to filter out
> everyone who answers him, too. Hope I don't miss some good info.

Hehe. Cut the nwecomers some slack, most wise up pretty fast.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Rod Speed on
Cronos wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> And when we keep telling fools like you that defragging wont
>> have any effect at all on anything except file copys with real
>> world personal desktop systems, fools like you call us an
>> idiot for rubbing your pig ignorant noses in those basics.

> Well, I haven't seen any of you provide concrete data to back up your claims

Dont need any when even you noticed that the defrag
takes FAR more time than you can ever possibly save.

> so it is still just hearsay.

Nope, just not explicitly quantified.

From: Cronos on
David Brown wrote:

> Nothing came close to being a sensible explanation of the claimed effects.

OK, I sent them your comments and am not going to post any more on the
subject. I will just have to find out for myself because there sure are
lots of people out there giving false info if what you say is correct,
an awful lot.
From: Timothy Daniels on
"Rod Speed" opined:
> ...the defrag takes FAR more time than you can ever possibly save.

Unless, of course, the defrag is done when the computer
isn't being used... But then, most people must like to watch,
judging by the complaints when Microsoft abandoned the
pretty file fragmentation map in Vista's defragger GUI. I
must admit, though, that I liked watching the map, too. It
was very satisfying to see the red lines disappear, to be
replaced by solid blue regions.

*TimDaniels*

From: David Brown on
Cronos wrote:
> David Brown wrote:
>
>> Nothing came close to being a sensible explanation of the claimed
>> effects.
>>

> OK, I sent them your comments and am not going to post any more on the
> subject. I will just have to find out for myself because there sure are
> lots of people out there giving false info if what you say is correct,
> an awful lot.

There are indeed lots of people, many claiming to be experts, giving
false information on many subjects in IT - fragmentation is only one of
them.

Some of these are historical - fragmentation definitely used to be a
major problem in the DOS/Windows world (*nix and other systems all
handle fragmentation far better, and always have done). Some of it is
due to commercial forces - there are companies making a living out of
selling defragmentation software, and they need people to believe it
makes a difference. Sometimes it is due to mixing other effects ("I
cleared out my cache and temp directories, ran a registry tidier, ran a
spyware/adware remover, and defragged my disk - now the system runs
faster. Therefore defragging makes a difference").

Ultimately, only /you/ can say if defragging makes a difference for
/you/, on /your/ system, and the way /you/ use the computer.