From: Mister B on
Attached new printer: Samsung ML-1520 to Windows 2000 machine via
USB. Downloaded Samsung Universal Print Driver from Samsung website,
install.
Press "Seach Now", but it does not find the printer :-(
What now?
(Is there a printer-specific driver I could use?)
From: Al on
On Dec 24, 4:50 am, Mister B <mark.berg...(a)thales-is.com> wrote:
> Attached new printer: Samsung ML-1520 to Windows 2000 machine via
> USB.  Downloaded Samsung Universal Print Driver from Samsung website,
> install.
> Press "Seach Now", but it does not find the printer :-(
> What now?
> (Is there a printer-specific driver I could use?)

I bet the solution is right in front of you somewhere. Printer and
scanner drivers sometimes are finicky in their installation. Also, we
hate to bother reading the "Read Me" notes that come along with the
package. I have learned to place the driver package in a new folder
and open and execute it from that folder. Then I restart the computer
and plug the printer in and allow the new driver to find the printer.
If you start getting messages to search for drivers, point to the new
folder you just established. Sometimes that works to finish an
installation. Generally, the drivers from the manufacturer are correct
and we just have to play with them a bit.

PS. I have one Canon printer where the driver must be opened and
executed through Windows IE. Firefox would do nothing. I don't know
why they come up with such things, but the answer was in front of me
all along.
From: Mister B on
On 24 Dec 2009, 15:28, Al <albun...(a)mailinator.com> wrote:
> On Dec 24, 4:50 am, I wrote:
>
> > Attached new printer: Samsung ML-1520 to Windows 2000 machine via
> > USB.  Downloaded Samsung Universal Print Driver from Samsung website,
> > install.
> > Press "Seach Now", but it does not find the printer :-(

> Also, we hate to bother reading the "Read Me" notes

I did read all docs I could see.

> I have learned to place the driver package in a new folder
> and open and execute it from that folder. Then I restart the computer
> and plug the printer in and allow the new driver to find the printer.
> If you start getting messages to search for drivers, point to the new
> folder you just established.

Thanks for the suggestion, did it like that, no better :-(

Any other ideas anyone?
(PS I also downloaded the Vista driver to a laptop, and that's OK, so
I know the printer is OK. The Vista version is specific for the
printer, so none of this searching stuff).

Mark
From: Mister B on
> > I wrote in message
> > > Installed Samsung Universal Print Driver from Samsung website on
> > > Windows 2000 system, but it can't find ML1520 in "New Search".

For the record, from fixed4free.com, someone pointed me to
driverguide.com, where I managed to download a driver specifically for
W2K, that didn't have all the "search" stuff - just worked a treat!