From: Dave on
Spot on thanks Fred, the southbridge chip is a VT8237 according to the MB
manual, on an Albatron K8X800 socket 754 motherboard. So apparently as you
say it can't support auto speed recognition, and the Hitachi Deskstar
HDT725032LVA360 model drive has no jumpers at all.

The motherboard manual doe not say much about SATA drives apart from the
speed supported being 150MB/sec, that's not 1.5GB/sec as someone mentioned,
so it must be a real slow old SATA standard. There is a separate RAID setup
rourine that can be accessed during boot up by pressing TAB instead of DEL
to go to the normal SETUP routine. The RAID setup says there is no SATA
drive connected to either of the SATA connectors.

Some people have suggested using the Hitachi utility to reset the drive to
operate in the older mode, but I guess that only applies if the computer can
at least see the drive in the first place.

When I have tried resetting the SATA mode in SETUP from RAID to IDE the
computer won't boot at all. Not even to boot as far as the BIOS SETUP
program, so I had to take the battery out of the motherboard so the BIOS
would revert to defaults, then reset a few things and it works normanny
again. I am running two IDE hard drives and an IDE DVD R/W and the computer
has been working happily for several years, and still is, again!.

Are there any strange issues with PCI -SATA interface cards that I should be
aware of before I take that route, which seems the only way to go?

I can't exchange the drive because I bought it in Bangkok's Pantip Plaza
last week. I've bought lots of stuff there over the past ten years and never
had a dud component, so I guess its my fault for not realising that my older
MB may have this problem with a new fast drive.

Thanks to all the respondents for your help.

Cheers, Dave - Brisbane.

Some people

From: Rod Speed on
Dave <Dave(a)78klpggospt.org.tw> wrote:

> Spot on thanks Fred, the southbridge chip is a VT8237 according to
> the MB manual, on an Albatron K8X800 socket 754 motherboard. So
> apparently as you say it can't support auto speed recognition, and the Hitachi Deskstar HDT725032LVA360 model drive
> has no jumpers at all.

You use Hitachi's DFT on a different system.

> The motherboard manual doe not say much about SATA drives apart from the speed supported being 150MB/sec, that's not
> 1.5GB/sec as someone mentioned, so it must be a real slow old SATA standard.

> There is a separate RAID setup rourine that can be accessed during boot up by pressing TAB instead of DEL to go to the
> normal SETUP routine. The RAID setup says there is no SATA drive connected to either of the SATA connectors.

Because of that interface speed problem.

> Some people have suggested using the Hitachi utility to reset the
> drive to operate in the older mode, but I guess that only applies if the computer can at least see the drive in the
> first place.

Yes, but you can use it in a different system.

> When I have tried resetting the SATA mode in SETUP from RAID to IDE the computer won't boot at all.

Because of that interface speed problem.

> Not even to boot as far as the BIOS SETUP program, so I had to take the battery out of the motherboard so the BIOS
> would revert to defaults, then reset a few things and it works normanny again.

You likely could have just removed the sata drive.

> I am running two IDE hard drives and an IDE DVD R/W and the computer has been working happily for several years, and
> still is, again!.

The problem is the interface speed to the sata drive.

> Are there any strange issues with PCI -SATA interface cards that I should be aware of before I take that route, which
> seems the only way to go?

You dont need to do that, just use DFT in a different
system to set the drive to the old interface standard.

> I can't exchange the drive because I bought it in Bangkok's Pantip
> Plaza last week. I've bought lots of stuff there over the past ten
> years and never had a dud component, so I guess its my fault for not
> realising that my older MB may have this problem with a new fast drive.

Yes, you could have researched it better before buying it and got a drive with a jumper.

From: Fred on
Dave wrote:
> Spot on thanks Fred, the southbridge chip is a VT8237 according to
> the MB manual, on an Albatron K8X800 socket 754 motherboard. So
> apparently as you say it can't support auto speed recognition, and
> the Hitachi Deskstar HDT725032LVA360 model drive has no jumpers at
> all.
> The motherboard manual doe not say much about SATA drives apart from
> the speed supported being 150MB/sec, that's not 1.5GB/sec as someone
> mentioned, so it must be a real slow old SATA standard. There is a
> separate RAID setup rourine that can be accessed during boot up by
> pressing TAB instead of DEL to go to the normal SETUP routine. The
> RAID setup says there is no SATA drive connected to either of the
> SATA connectors.
> Some people have suggested using the Hitachi utility to reset the
> drive to operate in the older mode, but I guess that only applies if
> the computer can at least see the drive in the first place.
>
> When I have tried resetting the SATA mode in SETUP from RAID to IDE
> the computer won't boot at all. Not even to boot as far as the BIOS
> SETUP program, so I had to take the battery out of the motherboard so
> the BIOS would revert to defaults, then reset a few things and it
> works normanny again. I am running two IDE hard drives and an IDE
> DVD R/W and the computer has been working happily for several years,
> and still is, again!.
> Are there any strange issues with PCI -SATA interface cards that I
> should be aware of before I take that route, which seems the only way
> to go?

Not that I am aware of. MSY sell one for $23. They also sell a combo unit
with an extra IDE channel for a few dollars more.
As others have mentioned you can hook the drive up to another computer and
use the Hitachi utility to set the speed.
I haven't used the utility myself so don't know if a floppy drive is
required to load the program. Someone else may be able to advise or you
could download it and find out for yourself.

> I can't exchange the drive because I bought it in Bangkok's Pantip
> Plaza last week. I've bought lots of stuff there over the past ten
> years and never had a dud component, so I guess its my fault for not
> realising that my older MB may have this problem with a new fast
> drive.

Well now you know and you've probably learnt something along the way ;-)

From: Rob on
Fred wrote:
> Dave wrote:

>> Are there any strange issues with PCI -SATA interface cards that I
>> should be aware of before I take that route, which seems the only way
>> to go?
>
> Not that I am aware of. MSY sell one for $23. They also sell a combo unit
> with an extra IDE channel for a few dollars more.

You can get a converter for IDE-SATA which is bi-directional. These work
well. about $15

http://www.geeks.com/largePic_All.asp?InvtId=RXD639-IDE-SATA-ADP&Pic=RXD639-IDE-SATA-ADP-unit.jpg
From: Rod Speed on
Fred <bluser(a)gaymail.com> wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> Spot on thanks Fred, the southbridge chip is a VT8237 according to
>> the MB manual, on an Albatron K8X800 socket 754 motherboard. So
>> apparently as you say it can't support auto speed recognition, and
>> the Hitachi Deskstar HDT725032LVA360 model drive has no jumpers at
>> all.
>> The motherboard manual doe not say much about SATA drives apart from
>> the speed supported being 150MB/sec, that's not 1.5GB/sec as someone
>> mentioned, so it must be a real slow old SATA standard. There is a
>> separate RAID setup rourine that can be accessed during boot up by
>> pressing TAB instead of DEL to go to the normal SETUP routine. The
>> RAID setup says there is no SATA drive connected to either of the
>> SATA connectors.
>> Some people have suggested using the Hitachi utility to reset the
>> drive to operate in the older mode, but I guess that only applies if
>> the computer can at least see the drive in the first place.
>>
>> When I have tried resetting the SATA mode in SETUP from RAID to IDE
>> the computer won't boot at all. Not even to boot as far as the BIOS
>> SETUP program, so I had to take the battery out of the motherboard so
>> the BIOS would revert to defaults, then reset a few things and it
>> works normanny again. I am running two IDE hard drives and an IDE
>> DVD R/W and the computer has been working happily for several years,
>> and still is, again!.
>> Are there any strange issues with PCI -SATA interface cards that I
>> should be aware of before I take that route, which seems the only way
>> to go?
>
> Not that I am aware of. MSY sell one for $23. They also sell a combo
> unit with an extra IDE channel for a few dollars more.
> As others have mentioned you can hook the drive up to another
> computer and use the Hitachi utility to set the speed.
> I haven't used the utility myself so don't know if a floppy drive is
> required to load the program. Someone else may be able to advise or
> you could download it and find out for yourself.

Its available in cd iso format.

>> I can't exchange the drive because I bought it in Bangkok's Pantip
>> Plaza last week. I've bought lots of stuff there over the past ten
>> years and never had a dud component, so I guess its my fault for not
>> realising that my older MB may have this problem with a new fast
>> drive.
>
> Well now you know and you've probably learnt something along the way
> ;-)
>> Thanks to all the respondents for your help.
>>
>> Cheers, Dave - Brisbane.
>>

>> Some people
>> "Fred" <bluser(a)gaymail.com> wrote in message
>>> Look in your manual and see if the Southbridge is any of the
>>> following older types.
>>> VT8237
>>> VT8237R
>>> VT6420