From: Rob on

> Have this laptop Compaq Evo 610c
>
> It started giving the error
>
> Disk read error occurred
> Press Ctl+Alt+Del to restart.

I ran the WD diagnostic tools from DOS and came up with no error in the HDD.

I have managed to reformat and reload XP onto the HDD and shut down the
computer then the same error as above again showed. Disk read error.

This time could do a repair install and loaded the Western Digital tools
managed a reboot and it said to take advantage of the full size of the
HDD (250GB) it would run what I assume was an overlay. Shut down turned
off the power.

All OK until about 1 hour later when I wanted to boot up the computer
it reverted back to a disk read error problem.

Am I correct in thinking its a MB problem, or BIOS battery problem,

I managed to check the ram and the SMART HDD figures, look even all the
way through.

Why is it loosing the ability to read the HDD?

Any suggestions please!

Thanks

From: Rod Speed on
Rob <mesa(a)mine.com> wrote:
>> Have this laptop Compaq Evo 610c
>>
>> It started giving the error
>>
>> Disk read error occurred
>> Press Ctl+Alt+Del to restart.
>>

> I ran the WD diagnostic tools from DOS and came up with no error in
> the HDD.
> I have managed to reformat and reload XP onto the HDD and shut down
> the computer then the same error as above again showed. Disk read
> error.
> This time could do a repair install and loaded the Western Digital
> tools managed a reboot and it said to take advantage of the full size
> of the HDD (250GB) it would run what I assume was an overlay. Shut down
> turned off the power.

> All OK until about 1 hour later when I wanted to boot up the computer it reverted back to a disk read error problem.

> Am I correct in thinking its a MB problem,

Could be a power supply problem, or an intermittent short to case too.

> or BIOS battery problem,

Wont be that.

> I managed to check the ram and the SMART HDD figures,

Post the Everest SMART report.

> look even all the way through.

> Why is it loosing the ability to read the HDD?

> Any suggestions please!

Unfortunately for you, a lot of things can give the symptoms you are seeing
and its clearly an intermittent fault which makes it even harder to find.

There's only one way, systematically eliminate the
possibilitys, and thats not as easy with a laptop.

See if there is any indication that the power connector is flakey,
they can develop a dry joint at the power connector and even
in the cable to the charger. Do you see any difference when its
running on the charge and when its running on battery ?