Prev: sound
Next: Boot manger gone
From: Theslaz on
Had a previous post and basically asked this question with another
question ( 64 bit or not ). Got several responses to the 64 bit problem
and I have that under control! ( Computer will not install a 64 bit
version of Windows 7 because it is not 64 bit capable. Pretty basic) The
other question was in regards to a new Sata Hard drive. No one answered
that so that is why I am reposting the question. I need help on this one.

I installed a new 1 Tera bite Hard Drive in my wifes computer.( not
enough space left on her old Hard drive for a new installation ) As it
stands now it is recognized and working. Problem is; Windows will not
install to it as it gives an error message that the operating system may
not boot from this drive.

Here is the problem. The computer is a Compaq Presario SR1300NX; and has
a 3000+ AMD Sempron processor. No where in the Bios is there a mention
of a Sata connection; whereas my computer a Compaq presario SR1620NX
does and I am using one of the Sata connections as we speak. Now my
wifes computer does have two Sata connections on her mother board. I
hooked up the Hard drive to one of them and it did not work. I than
inserted a RAID I/O card with Sata capability and that does work; but as
I mention; Windows 7 does not like it.

Any suggestions?? I will do a search to see if there is an updated BIOS
file. If there is; I will try that!

Thanks in advance.

Jerry
From: LVTravel on

"Theslaz" <theslaz(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Had a previous post and basically asked this question with another
> question ( 64 bit or not ). Got several responses to the 64 bit problem
> and I have that under control! ( Computer will not install a 64 bit
> version of Windows 7 because it is not 64 bit capable. Pretty basic) The
> other question was in regards to a new Sata Hard drive. No one answered
> that so that is why I am reposting the question. I need help on this one.
>
> I installed a new 1 Tera bite Hard Drive in my wifes computer.( not enough
> space left on her old Hard drive for a new installation ) As it stands now
> it is recognized and working. Problem is; Windows will not install to it
> as it gives an error message that the operating system may not boot from
> this drive.
>
> Here is the problem. The computer is a Compaq Presario SR1300NX; and has a
> 3000+ AMD Sempron processor. No where in the Bios is there a mention of a
> Sata connection; whereas my computer a Compaq presario SR1620NX does and I
> am using one of the Sata connections as we speak. Now my wifes computer
> does have two Sata connections on her mother board. I hooked up the Hard
> drive to one of them and it did not work. I than inserted a RAID I/O card
> with Sata capability and that does work; but as I mention; Windows 7 does
> not like it.
>
> Any suggestions?? I will do a search to see if there is an updated BIOS
> file. If there is; I will try that!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jerry

On the computer in question, yes it has two SATA ports. The documentation
that I saw on the internet for this model shows an Award Bios which *should*
have an option to turn on and turn of the SATA ports.

When you enter the bios setup on boot-up you go to the Main screen. Tab
over to the Advanced screen and the Onboard PATA/SATA Adapters and Onboard
PATA/SATA Configuration options should display.

From: Paul on
Theslaz wrote:
> Had a previous post and basically asked this question with another
> question ( 64 bit or not ). Got several responses to the 64 bit problem
> and I have that under control! ( Computer will not install a 64 bit
> version of Windows 7 because it is not 64 bit capable. Pretty basic) The
> other question was in regards to a new Sata Hard drive. No one answered
> that so that is why I am reposting the question. I need help on this one.
>
> I installed a new 1 Tera bite Hard Drive in my wifes computer.( not
> enough space left on her old Hard drive for a new installation ) As it
> stands now it is recognized and working. Problem is; Windows will not
> install to it as it gives an error message that the operating system may
> not boot from this drive.
>
> Here is the problem. The computer is a Compaq Presario SR1300NX; and has
> a 3000+ AMD Sempron processor. No where in the Bios is there a mention
> of a Sata connection; whereas my computer a Compaq presario SR1620NX
> does and I am using one of the Sata connections as we speak. Now my
> wifes computer does have two Sata connections on her mother board. I
> hooked up the Hard drive to one of them and it did not work. I than
> inserted a RAID I/O card with Sata capability and that does work; but as
> I mention; Windows 7 does not like it.
>
> Any suggestions?? I will do a search to see if there is an updated BIOS
> file. If there is; I will try that!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jerry

Compaq Presario SR1300NX Desktop PC has a A7V8X-LA motherboard with KM400A chipset.
That is VIA. With a VIA chipset, you need to install the "Force 150" jumper
on the SATA hard drive. Then the drive will be detectable with that VIA
chipset. Give that a try and report back.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00280656&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Looking up Kelut-GL6E on the HP site, gives more info on the motherboard.
Southbridge is VT8237 (the partner to the KM400A Northbridge). The
VT8237 is what hosts the two SATA ports.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00069442&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

See page 11 here, for info on VIA chipsets versus SATA 300 hard drives
and what to do.

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/documentation/installation_guides/dm_11_sata300_installation_guide_en.pdf

The jumper situation varies from one disk manufacturer to another. On
Hitachi, you need the Drive Feature Tool software to change disk
interface operating speed. There is no jumper on a Hitachi drive.
Seagate, by comparison, makes it easy, by having a position for a jumper.
On my last two Seagate purchases, one drive came with the necessary jumper
and the other one did not. So I had to scrounge around to find a jumper
when I needed one.

I suspect you'll be up and running Win7 in no time. No need
for the RAID card.

Good luck,
Paul
From: peter on
There are a few thing you need to check:
Somewhere in the BIOS must be a Sata activation./enabling
Somewhere on the original CD that came with the system must be the SATA
drivers for that Mobo
if not you will need to look for them on the VIA website because that unit
uses a Via KM400A chipset
That chipset is pretty old it might not have drivers for W7

Does the drive even show in the BIOS??
Have you disconnected the EIDE HD??

Does your BIOS not look like this??
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c00639864/en_us/bph07110/loc:4&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=443734

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: Theslaz on
No where in the "Advanced" options is Sata mentioned.
Now to make matters worse; some where along the line; I lost the boot
manager; can not boot into windows XP! I have a back up; just don't like
the prospect of reloading windows XP!
I'm not happy and the wife is pissed!
LVTravel wrote:

> "Theslaz" <theslaz(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Had a previous post and basically asked this question with another
>> question ( 64 bit or not ). Got several responses to the 64 bit
>> problem and I have that under control! ( Computer will not install a
>> 64 bit version of Windows 7 because it is not 64 bit capable. Pretty
>> basic) The other question was in regards to a new Sata Hard drive. No
>> one answered that so that is why I am reposting the question. I need
>> help on this one.
>>
>> I installed a new 1 Tera bite Hard Drive in my wifes computer.( not
>> enough space left on her old Hard drive for a new installation ) As it
>> stands now it is recognized and working. Problem is; Windows will not
>> install to it as it gives an error message that the operating system
>> may not boot from this drive.
>>
>> Here is the problem. The computer is a Compaq Presario SR1300NX; and
>> has a 3000+ AMD Sempron processor. No where in the Bios is there a
>> mention of a Sata connection; whereas my computer a Compaq presario
>> SR1620NX does and I am using one of the Sata connections as we speak.
>> Now my wifes computer does have two Sata connections on her mother
>> board. I hooked up the Hard drive to one of them and it did not work.
>> I than inserted a RAID I/O card with Sata capability and that does
>> work; but as I mention; Windows 7 does not like it.
>>
>> Any suggestions?? I will do a search to see if there is an updated
>> BIOS file. If there is; I will try that!
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Jerry
>
> On the computer in question, yes it has two SATA ports. The
> documentation that I saw on the internet for this model shows an Award
> Bios which *should* have an option to turn on and turn of the SATA ports.
>
> When you enter the bios setup on boot-up you go to the Main screen. Tab
> over to the Advanced screen and the Onboard PATA/SATA Adapters and
> Onboard PATA/SATA Configuration options should display.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: sound
Next: Boot manger gone