From: zoara on
How do the Satnavs work in iOS4 with multitasking? If you forget and
leave one running in the background, does it quickly drain the battery
to nothing, or dies it do something clever to avoid this?

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: Jochem Huhmann on
zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> writes:

> How do the Satnavs work in iOS4 with multitasking? If you forget and
> leave one running in the background, does it quickly drain the battery
> to nothing, or dies it do something clever to avoid this?

Apps can peruse a service in the background to continue to get a GPS fix
regularly. They can't get maps etc. then though, which should lighten
the load on the battery (by avoiding further CPU and heavy network
usage). In how far these apps are clever enough to limit their battery
load by falling back to use WiFi-triangulation or even using the
gyroscope on the iPhone 4: I have no idea. It's not so that the full
apps continue to run in the background, though.

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
From: Jon B on
zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> How do the Satnavs work in iOS4 with multitasking? If you forget and
> leave one running in the background, does it quickly drain the battery
> to nothing, or dies it do something clever to avoid this?

Co-pilot have said when it's been stationary for 10mins they turn off
the GPS, but of course this doesn't allow for the times you get out of
the car with it and then walk for 5hrs, at which point the phone would
be dead.
<http://blog.copilotlive.net/?p=1591>

Think a key issue here is with multitasking you've got to watch what
apps you're exiting sometimes...
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
From: zoara on
Jochem Huhmann <joh(a)gmx.net> wrote:
> zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> writes:
>
>> How do the Satnavs work in iOS4 with multitasking? If you forget and
>> leave one running in the background, does it quickly drain the
> > battery
>> to nothing, or dies it do something clever to avoid this?
>
> Apps can peruse a service in the background to continue to get a GPS
> fix
> regularly. They can't get maps etc. then though, which should lighten
> the load on the battery (by avoiding further CPU and heavy network
> usage). In how far these apps are clever enough to limit their battery
> load by falling back to use WiFi-triangulation or even using the
> gyroscope on the iPhone 4: I have no idea. It's not so that the full
> apps continue to run in the background, though.

Satnav apps keep an accurate GPS location (to allow them to continue
turn-by-turn voice announcements). I doubt that wifi triangulation is
even vaguely accurate enough; I doubt there's been enough development
time to work gyroscope stuff into the apps.

I'd be surprised if they do much more than simply use Apple's
"continuous GPS" APIs. As the "real" GPS uses a lot of battery (as
anyone trying in-car GPS without a cradle will notice), I'm wondering
what happens if you forget it is running and leave it in the background
when you get to the destination (for example).

When I raised this as a question after multitasking was announced, it
was suggested that

a) GPS requests continue in the background, meaning that according to
Jobs they have failed at multitasking, as this implicitly requires a
task manager to kill the sat nav app

b) it is somehow managed by Apple at the API level, eg continuous GPS
only works for ten minutes while the requesting app is backgrounded, or
it turns off if location doesn't change significantly for ten minutes,
or [other].

c) Apple have entrusted the app developers to behave as good citizens
and implement their own checks (similar to the above) which kill the
continuous GPS in certain circumstances.

I'm hoping b); c) is okay I guess, but difficult in practice to tell
from b). But a) would be lousy.

I have a nagging feeling it will be a)...

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: zoara on
Jon B <black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com> wrote:
> zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> How do the Satnavs work in iOS4 with multitasking? If you forget and
>> leave one running in the background, does it quickly drain the
> > battery
>> to nothing, or dies it do something clever to avoid this?
>>
> Co-pilot have said when it's been stationary for 10mins they turn off
> the GPS, but of course this doesn't allow for the times you get out of
> the car with it and then walk for 5hrs, at which point the phone would
> be dead.
> <http://blog.copilotlive.net/?p=1591>

Hmmm. That advice will work, but I'm surprised Jobs okayed it. The
people who don't read the CoPilot blog are going to have troubles. I
wonder how much this will add to support costs (and reputation) for
CoPilot and for Apple?

> Think a key issue here is with multitasking you've got to watch what
> apps you're exiting sometimes...

"If you see a task manager, you've failed at multitasking".

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm