From: John Schneider on
I have a VM in a saved state that is a couple of years old that I can not
access. I recently upgraded my machine to Vista Ultimate and am running VPC
2007 SP1. When I try to add this old VM to the console, I get the error
"Virtual PC was unable to register this virtual machine configuration file.
The saved state associated with the virtual machine is not compatible with
the current version of Virtual PC".

I have another machine running XP Pro SP2. I have installed VPC 2007 and
tried adding this machine, but get the same error. I uninstalled VPC 2007
and installed VPC 2007 Beta, and still get the error. I've even tried it
with VPC 2007 RC. Still no luck.

My last two options, VPC 2004 and VPC 2004 SP1 give a different error. They
allow me to add the machine to the console. I can even see the screenshot in
the console of the saved state. But when I try to start the machine, I'm
getting the error "The virtual machine could not be restored because an
unexpected error occurred. Press the "Delete" button to delete the virtual
machine's saved state"

I believe I have now tried every version of VPC that ever existed, or at
least that I have used. Any ideas how to get this machine back up and
running in its current saved state?

Thanks
From: Bill Grant on

"John Schneider" <johnmsch(a)newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> I have a VM in a saved state that is a couple of years old that I can not
> access. I recently upgraded my machine to Vista Ultimate and am running
> VPC
> 2007 SP1. When I try to add this old VM to the console, I get the error
> "Virtual PC was unable to register this virtual machine configuration
> file.
> The saved state associated with the virtual machine is not compatible with
> the current version of Virtual PC".
>
> I have another machine running XP Pro SP2. I have installed VPC 2007 and
> tried adding this machine, but get the same error. I uninstalled VPC 2007
> and installed VPC 2007 Beta, and still get the error. I've even tried it
> with VPC 2007 RC. Still no luck.
>
> My last two options, VPC 2004 and VPC 2004 SP1 give a different error.
> They
> allow me to add the machine to the console. I can even see the screenshot
> in
> the console of the saved state. But when I try to start the machine, I'm
> getting the error "The virtual machine could not be restored because an
> unexpected error occurred. Press the "Delete" button to delete the
> virtual
> machine's saved state"
>
> I believe I have now tried every version of VPC that ever existed, or at
> least that I have used. Any ideas how to get this machine back up and
> running in its current saved state?
>
> Thanks

I doubt that you can do anything with the saved state. These are not
really transferable. You should never make any changes to the virtualization
software while a guest is in a saved state.

You can recover the machine by deleting the saved state, or you can
delete the virtual machine and create a new one using the vhd file, but the
..vsv file is pretty useless I would think.

From: John Schneider on
"Bill Grant" wrote:

> "John Schneider" <johnmsch(a)newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> > I have a VM in a saved state that is a couple of years old that I can not
> > access. I recently upgraded my machine to Vista Ultimate and am running
> > VPC
> > 2007 SP1. When I try to add this old VM to the console, I get the error
> > "Virtual PC was unable to register this virtual machine configuration
> > file.
> > The saved state associated with the virtual machine is not compatible with
> > the current version of Virtual PC".
> >
> > I have another machine running XP Pro SP2. I have installed VPC 2007 and
> > tried adding this machine, but get the same error. I uninstalled VPC 2007
> > and installed VPC 2007 Beta, and still get the error. I've even tried it
> > with VPC 2007 RC. Still no luck.
> >
> > My last two options, VPC 2004 and VPC 2004 SP1 give a different error.
> > They
> > allow me to add the machine to the console. I can even see the screenshot
> > in
> > the console of the saved state. But when I try to start the machine, I'm
> > getting the error "The virtual machine could not be restored because an
> > unexpected error occurred. Press the "Delete" button to delete the
> > virtual
> > machine's saved state"
> >
> > I believe I have now tried every version of VPC that ever existed, or at
> > least that I have used. Any ideas how to get this machine back up and
> > running in its current saved state?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I doubt that you can do anything with the saved state. These are not
> really transferable. You should never make any changes to the virtualization
> software while a guest is in a saved state.
>
> You can recover the machine by deleting the saved state, or you can
> delete the virtual machine and create a new one using the vhd file, but the
> ..vsv file is pretty useless I would think.

Thanks for the reply Bill. I'm going to try booting back to my XP
partition, install VPC 2004 and try it again. That way it will be back on
the exact same environment as when it was create. I found these lines in the
VMC file that lead me to belive this was created with the original VPC 2004:

<standard>
<name type="string">Virtual PC 2004</name>
<version type="string">0001.0000.0000</version>
</standard>

and:

<properties>
<creator>
<build type="string">5.3.0.582</build>
<name type="string">Microsoft Virtual PC 2004</name>
</creator>
<modifier>
<build type="string">5.3.0.582</build>
<name type="string">Microsoft Virtual PC 2004</name>
</modifier>
</properties>

Thanks again!
From: John Schneider on

"John Schneider" wrote:

> "Bill Grant" wrote:
> >
> > "John Schneider" <johnmsch(a)newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> > > I have a VM in a saved state that is a couple of years old that I can not
> > > access. I recently upgraded my machine to Vista Ultimate and am running
> > > VPC
> > > 2007 SP1. When I try to add this old VM to the console, I get the error
> > > "Virtual PC was unable to register this virtual machine configuration
> > > file.
> > > The saved state associated with the virtual machine is not compatible with
> > > the current version of Virtual PC".
> > >
> > > I have another machine running XP Pro SP2. I have installed VPC 2007 and
> > > tried adding this machine, but get the same error. I uninstalled VPC 2007
> > > and installed VPC 2007 Beta, and still get the error. I've even tried it
> > > with VPC 2007 RC. Still no luck.
> > >
> > > My last two options, VPC 2004 and VPC 2004 SP1 give a different error.
> > > They
> > > allow me to add the machine to the console. I can even see the screenshot
> > > in
> > > the console of the saved state. But when I try to start the machine, I'm
> > > getting the error "The virtual machine could not be restored because an
> > > unexpected error occurred. Press the "Delete" button to delete the
> > > virtual
> > > machine's saved state"
> > >
> > > I believe I have now tried every version of VPC that ever existed, or at
> > > least that I have used. Any ideas how to get this machine back up and
> > > running in its current saved state?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > I doubt that you can do anything with the saved state. These are not
> > really transferable. You should never make any changes to the virtualization
> > software while a guest is in a saved state.
> >
> > You can recover the machine by deleting the saved state, or you can
> > delete the virtual machine and create a new one using the vhd file, but the
> > ..vsv file is pretty useless I would think.
>
> Thanks for the reply Bill. I'm going to try booting back to my XP
> partition, install VPC 2004 and try it again. That way it will be back on
> the exact same environment as when it was create. I found these lines in the
> VMC file that lead me to belive this was created with the original VPC 2004:
>
> <standard>
> <name type="string">Virtual PC 2004</name>
> <version type="string">0001.0000.0000</version>
> </standard>
>
> and:
>
> <properties>
> <creator>
> <build type="string">5.3.0.582</build>
> <name type="string">Microsoft Virtual PC 2004</name>
> </creator>
> <modifier>
> <build type="string">5.3.0.582</build>
> <name type="string">Microsoft Virtual PC 2004</name>
> </modifier>
> </properties>
>
> Thanks again!

It worked! I booted back to XP, uninstalled VPC 2007, installed the
original VPC 2004, added the VM to the console, and it fired up perfectly.
Was able to finish what I was doing in the saved state, shut the VM down
normally, then boot back to Vista, add that VM to the console and run it with
no problems!