From: Michael Taylor on
I'm running VPC 2007 on Vista x64 Ultimate with SP1.

I recently started up a Windows 2000 VM a few times. When I started it again
this morning I get the error message...

"The startup disk could not be written to.

You may not have sufficient privilege to write to the disk. The
virtual hard disk has been mounted read-only. Most operating
systems cannot boot with a read-only startup disk."

The VHD is in My Documents\My Virtual Machines\Windows 2000 Pro

That subfolder is 'read-only', like all the other VM subfolders, and when I
checked the properties of the VHD itself, it is not marked as read-only, and
the security settings allow me full control of it.

Does anyone know whay this has happened and how I can fix it?

Thanks
Mike

From: Robert Comer on
Could your AV or backup program have a lock on the file?

--
Bob Comer

From: Michael Taylor on
Hi Bob,
I use Second Copy. I guess its possible the file could have been locked.
However, i've restarted my PC several times, with Second Copy not active and
still got the problem. I retrieved the VHD from a backup, and that is now
working ok. I think the VHD must have become corrupt somehow.
Thanks
Mike

From: Robert Comer on
You probably should configure Second Copy to exclude backing up the
..VHD's automatically, it could have got corrupt if the VHD was in use
and it tried to back it up.

I always back up my VHD's separately when I know they're in a safe
state.

--
Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP Windows - Virtual Machine>

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:02:10 +0100, "Michael Taylor"

From: Michael Taylor on
Thanks Bob, good advice. I will do that.
Regards