From: Esprit on
Hi All,

I'm having a little file management problem.

In SW 2010, say I have an assembly open that has 10 parts. I want to
save this assembly as well as saving all of the 10 parts in that
assembly regardless of whether they've changed or not.

In SW2008 (what I was using earlier) I just used to use Save As, show
the references then click "Save All". This doesn't appear to work now,
I think it's ONLY saving the parts that I've opened/changed during the
session.

The problem I'm having is that I've got a macro that I use to
integrate custom properties in Excel. I can populate an Excel
spreadsheet from the model, manipulate the data, fill in the gaps and
then back-feed that information into each of the SolidWorks parts. The
problem I have is that while this works fine, when I back-fill
properties into SolidWorks, SW isn't seeing the files as having
changed, so when I save and close the model, it's not capturing the
changes.

Right now short of opening every part file in an assembly and manually
making a change to each part, how do I get solidworks to see it as
having changed?

Thanks,

George Maddever.
From: Esprit on
An update on this, I think this is a SP0.0 bug. It would seemt hat if
I do a "save as" with all references, it's saving the master assembly
but not saving any of the references.

I'm gonna try it in the latest SP and see how I get on.
From: raamman on
On Apr 8, 6:56 pm, Esprit <george.madde...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> An update on this, I think this is a SP0.0 bug. It would seemt hat if
> I do a "save as" with all references, it's saving the master assembly
> but not saving any of the references.
>
> I'm gonna try it in the latest SP and see how I get on.

this limitation would be good to be aware of if I wind up using 2010 -
please post update. thanx
From: Esprit on
On Apr 9, 3:24 pm, raamman <raam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 6:56 pm, Esprit <george.madde...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> this limitation would be good to be aware of if I wind up using 2010 -
> please post update. thanx

I tried it with SP2.1 and it seems to be better, you can do a Save As
with references to a different location and it drags all the
references with it. HOWEVER, it doesn't seem to do it when you're
saving to the same location, which makes it a pain in the butt when
you want to batch-save an assembly and all its references.

I can't say for sure because i've not got a copy of 2008 operational
here at work now, but I'm pretty sure this used to work under 2008.

I fixed this by tweaking my macro to flag all the files it accesses as
having changed and needing a save, therefore it now handles this
automatically... does seem to bring up a possible shortcoming of the
file management system though.

Will lodge a claim with my vendor and see if they get any joy with SWx.
From: raamman on
On Apr 9, 12:57 am, Esprit <george.madde...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 9, 3:24 pm, raamman <raam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 8, 6:56 pm, Esprit <george.madde...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > this limitation would be good to be aware of if I wind up using 2010 -
> > please post update. thanx
>
> I tried it with SP2.1 and it seems to be better, you can do a Save As
> with references to a different location and it drags all the
> references with it. HOWEVER, it doesn't seem to do it when you're
> saving to the same location, which makes it a pain in the butt when
> you want to batch-save an assembly and all its references.
>
> I can't say for sure because i've not got a copy of 2008 operational
> here at work now, but I'm pretty sure this used to work under 2008.
>
> I fixed this by tweaking my macro to flag all the files it accesses as
> having changed and needing a save, therefore it now handles this
> automatically... does seem to bring up a possible shortcoming of the
> file management system though.
>
> Will lodge a claim with my vendor and see if they get any joy with SWx.

thanx