From: J. Jones on
"Dave" <nodlee5spam(a)fuse.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:51:33 -0500, J. Jones wrote:
>
>> Can someone recommend a free easy to use software that saves those
>> little clips on Utube? I don't know what the software is called. The PC
>> is Vista with HomePremium. TIA. :)
>
> http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/
> <http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10647340.html?
> tag=contentMain;contentAux>
>
> "CNET editors' review
>
> This simple freeware application works pretty well, given how basic the
> interface is. It has two main features: to download FLV files from
> YouTube, and to convert them to most major formats. If there's a YouTube
> URL in your clipboard, it will automatically paste it for you when you
> click on the dialog box. From there, just hit OK and the downloading will
> commence. One more left-click is all it takes to load the file in the
> converter, which supports iPhone, iPod, PSP, cell phone, AVI, MP3, WMV,
> and Xvid. Surprisingly, there's also a basic video editor for cropping
> videos by time stamp. You can also cut out the sound when converting."
>
> This one is one of CNet's top ten downloads so I guess some people like
> it.

I'll give it a try. I wish I could find the one I had a few years ago. It
sat on the desktop and all I had to do was drag the url there and the avi
(?) was saved. :*(

From: no on
"J. Jones" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote 4c6183a6(a)news.x-privat.org:

> Can someone recommend a free easy to use software that saves those
> little clips on Utube? I don't know what the software is called. The
> PC is Vista with HomePremium. TIA. :)

these days i normally catch flv from youtube and video.google.com
from cache, but there's quite a bit of video that doesn't go to cache,
so...

http://www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html - nice, easy, screen capture.

free, fully functional.

while on video things, one might like avidemux - nice, easy, video editing.

free, fully functional

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/
From: Shadow on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:51:33 -0500, "J. Jones"
<invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Can someone recommend a free easy to use software that saves those little
>clips on Utube? I don't know what the software is called. The PC is Vista
>with HomePremium. TIA. :)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mudownloader/files/

Works MOST of the time. Very small footprint. The only hard
bit is getting it to display in English (change-options-language)
[]'s

Just remember to change a link like this:

http://www.youtube.com/v/04oYuIhpuZ0&hl=pt_BR&fs=1

to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04oYuIhpuZ0&hl=pt_BR&fs=1

before adding the URL.

Probably get better as it's open-source
From: PDFrank on
J. Jones wrote:
> Can someone recommend a free easy to use software that saves those
> little clips on Utube? I don't know what the software is called. The PC
> is Vista with HomePremium. TIA. :)

So what's wrong with Keepvid.com?