From: ilfan83 on
I have a table named tblRates with field names BodyLabRate, RefinishLabRate,
etc.

After the user enters the labor rates for a record, I want the user to
assign an unique name for that record, save the data, and then be able to
recall the same data using the unique name.

I have a a field in the table for the user to enter the unique name.
However, how do I have the record saved, and then allow the user to recall
the same record at a later time??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
From: Mike Painter on
ilfan83 wrote:
> I have a table named tblRates with field names BodyLabRate,
> RefinishLabRate, etc.
>
> After the user enters the labor rates for a record, I want the user to
> assign an unique name for that record, save the data, and then be
> able to recall the same data using the unique name.
>
> I have a a field in the table for the user to enter the unique name.
> However, how do I have the record saved, and then allow the user to
> recall the same record at a later time??
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

First "BodyLabRate, RefinishLabRate, etc." imply fields with similar
purposes and that is almost always a mistake in a relational database. It
*is* a mistake of you don't know why :)
One field for the rate type, a description, and one for the rate will
probably be better.

RateID RateType RateDescription Rate
1 Body Upper $25.00
2 Refinish Midde $24.99

Rate type should also come from a table.

It would be better to use an autonumber key for your unique value. It can
be hard to remember unique names and harder still for a bunch of people to
come up with them.

Use a combo box and let the wizard guide you through the process that is
labeled something like "finding a record..."