From: Talker on
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:49:41 -0500, Barry Watzman
<WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:

>Do not discount the option of buying a used scanner (anywhere, including
>E-Bay), using it, then reselling it (E-Bay). If you are careful, you
>can at least break even, and might make money on the transaction.
>
>Also consider services such as scancafe.com. And Sam's club does
>relatively low quality scans (2MP) for 18 cents each ... maybe do that
>as "insurance" before sending off your original images to a service like
>scancafe (which uses Nikon scanners).
>
>There are LOTS of ways to skin this cat.

Yes, buying a used one is a good option. I would think that it
would be better to follow your second suggestion and have someone else
scan them. It would be more cost efficient to do that if he doesn't
have a shoebox full of negatives. At 18� a piece, you'd get 5 scans
for a buck, and if he spent $200 to buy a used scanner, he could get
1111 negatives scanned instead. That's a lot of time and work to do
yourself.(I guess he'd recoup his money if he resold the scanner
though.)

Talker
From: Alan Browne on
Joe wrote:
> I have some family negatives and photos that I want to capture
> digitally. Most of the negatives are 35 mm. I would like to know what
> is the best method to scan in
> negatives? Are regular flat bed scanners with attachments on the lid
> for negatives and slides any good, or should I consider getting a
> dedicated film scanner? Any help provided is appreciated. Thank you.
> Joe

Google away on this group.

1) For high quality (archive) or larger prints a 4000 or higher dpi
dedicated file scanner

2) To make small prints ( 6 x 9 inches or smaller) or for screen
display, a flatbed with film capability should do okay.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
From: Barry Watzman on
I guess that one can always argue that "more is better", but a 2,700 dpi
scan of a 35mm image gives a 10 megapixel result. I seriously question
going higher. Most images simply don't have any more meaningful detail
to give.

From: Alan Browne on
Barry Watzman wrote:
> I guess that one can always argue that "more is better", but a 2,700 dpi
> scan of a 35mm image gives a 10 megapixel result. I seriously question
> going higher. Most images simply don't have any more meaningful detail
> to give.

Shoot decent lenses off a tripod on good film and expose properly and
they certainly do.

Don't top post.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
From: Barry Watzman on
As I said, MOST [35mm] images simply don't have any more meaningful
detail to give [than 10 MP].