From: Joe on
I have some family negatives and photos that I want to capture digitally.
Most of the negatives are 35 mm. I would like to know what is the best
method to scan in
negatives? Are regular flat bed scanners with attachments on the lid for
negatives and slides any good, or should I consider getting a dedicated film
scanner? Any help provided is appreciated. Thank you.
Joe

From: tomm42 on
On Nov 30, 1:27 am, "Joe" <jwnospamhorv...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> I have some family negatives and photos that I want to capture digitally.
> Most of the negatives are 35 mm. I would like to know what is the best
> method to scan in
> negatives? Are regular flat bed scanners with attachments on the lid for
> negatives and slides any good, or should I consider getting a dedicated film
> scanner? Any help provided is appreciated. Thank you.
> Joe

Ist choice would be a dedicated film scanner, the Nikon LS5000 is
about the only one left you can purchase new. As for flatbeds (and
film scanners) you get waht you pay for. As prices get less, speed and
scan quality decreases. After the Nikon LS5000 I'd look at the Epson
V700 flatbed, the advantage with this scanner is that you can scan 24
negs. Quality is the best of any flatbed, but takes some tweking with
film holder heights to get the best results. This scanner is better
than most older film scanners and probably better than inexpensive
ones. I mostly scan slides with mine (12 max) and I find the manual
set up almost as quick as the auto scan and more acurate.

Tom
From: Barry Watzman on
A film scanner is best; most flatbeds with adapters are pretty bad,
except for some Epson models (not cheap, however).

The best film scanners are the Nikon models with Digital ICE, from the
LS-2000 and up. hey can sometimes be had cheap (under $100) but will
likely both be incomplete and need service. Check E-Bay.

From: Talker on
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:27:44 -0800, "Joe"
<jwnospamhorvath(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>I have some family negatives and photos that I want to capture digitally.
>Most of the negatives are 35 mm. I would like to know what is the best
>method to scan in
>negatives? Are regular flat bed scanners with attachments on the lid for
>negatives and slides any good, or should I consider getting a dedicated film
>scanner? Any help provided is appreciated. Thank you.
>Joe

How many negatives are you planning on scanning? Also, how much
were you figuring on spending? If you have a lot of negatives and you
want the best possible scan, then like tomm42 and Barry Watzman said,
get a decent dedicated film scanner.
If you only have a handful of negatives, and you only want to get
a good scan of the negatives, then it wouldn't make sense to buy a
$1000 scanner, when a flatbed would suffice.

Talker
From: Barry Watzman on
Do not discount the option of buying a used scanner (anywhere, including
E-Bay), using it, then reselling it (E-Bay). If you are careful, you
can at least break even, and might make money on the transaction.

Also consider services such as scancafe.com. And Sam's club does
relatively low quality scans (2MP) for 18 cents each ... maybe do that
as "insurance" before sending off your original images to a service like
scancafe (which uses Nikon scanners).

There are LOTS of ways to skin this cat.