From: Tom on
>> I've never had any success with openSUSE drivers for my Epson scanner,
>> but got it working with the software and drivers fromhttp://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do
I have now tried again with these downloaded drivers, and after
several more trials it seems I now have a working setup as follows:
Hardware:
epkowa Epson(unknown model) at epkowa usb:001:005
epson2 Epson GT-9700 at epson2:libusb:001:005
Software:
iscan, iscan-data (downloaded from the AVASYS site; the former is a
newer version of what is offered at opensuse, the latter is not at
opensuse at all), iscan-firmware, iscan-proprietary-drivers (these two
may actually be unnecessary).

Basically, it means that the packages offered by opensuse 11.1 are
half-broken (and their procedure certainly is), and one should use the
software offered by AVASYS.
Tom
From: mjt on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 14:21:33 -0700 (PDT)
Tom <flurboglarf(a)mailinator.com> wrote:

> >> I've never had any success with openSUSE drivers for my Epson
> >> scanner, but got it working with the software and drivers

Good to hear you got it working. I have an Epson 1200U
desktop scanner and haven't had an issue using it with
openSUSE (even versions prior to 11).

The issues I have are with the software. I remember when
using 11.2, Scanlite always crashed, so I use XSane. I
also use "Simple Scan" if I want to do a "no-frills",
quick-n-easy scan.

--
The United States also has its native Fascists who say
that they are "100 percent American"... - U. S. Army (1945)

From: David Bailey on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 06:31:25 -0700, Tom wrote:

> Hi,
> I just got a used Epson Perfection 2450 scanner and am trying to use it
> on SUSE 11.1, but there seems to be no way to make it work. I have tried
> several lines of attack:

I have that scanner and I run it with xsane and the epkowa backend. It
works well.

Previously, under openSUSE 11.2 there was a problem that I could only
get a 32 bit backend and my desktop is 64 bit (the 32 bit didn't want to
work on it). So I actually run it on my openSUSE 11.1 Mythbackend box
(VMware virtual machine).

Actually, I just tested it again under 11.3 (64 bit) and it works again.
Looks like they've fixed whatever the issue was in 11.2. I believe this
machine is using the snapscan driver. I'm pretty sure that didn't work
for me under previous versions.

--
Regards,
David Bailey