From: Tom on
Hi,
I just got a used Epson Perfection 2450 scanner and am trying to use
it on SUSE 11.1, but there seems to be no way to make it work. I have
tried several lines of attack:
- Kooka: Initially, I could get as far as having a preview of the
scanned image, but then it won't make the final scan. The only thing
that happens when I click the Scan button to produce the final scan is
that a small window pops up that presumably should show the progress,
although it is in fact blank. This window is there for ~1 min and then
disappears; nothing else happens. To make it worse, on the account
where I tried it first, the subwindows of the Kooka window have
somehow been rearranged, and now most of them, including the one with
the Preview and Scan buttons, are blank, and there seems to be no way
to reset it to the original status.
- Skanlite: When calling it, I get this stupid bouncing icon for some
time, then it disappears so it looks like the process had crashed.
Nonetheless, the Skanlite window pops up several minutes later without
further action or visible activity. When I then try to make a preview
scan, the app hangs and has to be killed.
- Iscan: Doesn't find the scanner at all (some I/O error if I recall
correctly), although clearly the hardware is there and is also
configured.
Is there any way to make this work? Is there any Linux scanning
application that actually functions? SUSE 11.1 has been a big
disappointment in various respects already compared with earlier
releases, but few things have pissed me off as much as this.
Any help with this will be much appreciated,
Tom
From: Inge Svensson on
Tom skrev 2010-07-25 15:31:
> Hi,
> I just got a used Epson Perfection 2450 scanner and am trying to use
> it on SUSE 11.1, but there seems to be no way to make it work. I have
> tried several lines of attack:
> - Kooka: Initially, I could get as far as having a preview of the
> scanned image, but then it won't make the final scan. The only thing
> that happens when I click the Scan button to produce the final scan is
> that a small window pops up that presumably should show the progress,
> although it is in fact blank. This window is there for ~1 min and then
> disappears; nothing else happens. To make it worse, on the account
> where I tried it first, the subwindows of the Kooka window have
> somehow been rearranged, and now most of them, including the one with
> the Preview and Scan buttons, are blank, and there seems to be no way
> to reset it to the original status.
> - Skanlite: When calling it, I get this stupid bouncing icon for some
> time, then it disappears so it looks like the process had crashed.
> Nonetheless, the Skanlite window pops up several minutes later without
> further action or visible activity. When I then try to make a preview
> scan, the app hangs and has to be killed.
> - Iscan: Doesn't find the scanner at all (some I/O error if I recall
> correctly), although clearly the hardware is there and is also
> configured.
> Is there any way to make this work? Is there any Linux scanning
> application that actually functions? SUSE 11.1 has been a big
> disappointment in various respects already compared with earlier
> releases, but few things have pissed me off as much as this.
> Any help with this will be much appreciated,
> Tom
I've had better success with the software and drivers at
http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do
Inge Svensson
From: Tom on
On Jul 25, 4:36 pm, Inge Svensson <ingesvens...(a)orion.vokby.se> wrote:
> > - Iscan: Doesn't find the scanner at all (some I/O error if I recall
> > correctly), although clearly the hardware is there and is also
> > configured.
> I've never had any success with openSUSE drivers for my Epson scanner,
> but got it working with the software and drivers fromhttp://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do
I had actually tried both installing iscan-free (which does not
provide a frontend, though) and the proprietary iscan stuff, and of
the latter I tried both the version that came with openSUSE and the
somewhat newer releases available on that website you cite. The result
was always pretty much the same: it didn't work, either it died
silently after trying to start up or it gave this error message that
no scanner was found without offering any further means to configure
or search the scanner.
Tom
From: Inge Svensson on
2010-07-25 17:15, Tom skrev:
> On Jul 25, 4:36 pm, Inge Svensson <ingesvens...(a)orion.vokby.se> wrote:
>>> - Iscan: Doesn't find the scanner at all (some I/O error if I recall
>>> correctly), although clearly the hardware is there and is also
>>> configured.
>> I've never had any success with openSUSE drivers for my Epson scanner,
>> but got it working with the software and drivers fromhttp://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do
> I had actually tried both installing iscan-free (which does not
> provide a frontend, though) and the proprietary iscan stuff, and of
> the latter I tried both the version that came with openSUSE and the
> somewhat newer releases available on that website you cite. The result
> was always pretty much the same: it didn't work, either it died
> silently after trying to start up or it gave this error message that
> no scanner was found without offering any further means to configure
> or search the scanner.
> Tom
Did you give the command iscan from the terminal?
Inge Svensson
From: Tom on
On Jul 25, 6:59 pm, Inge Svensson <ingesvens...(a)orion.vokby.se> wrote:
> Did you give the command iscan from the terminal?
The symptoms are the same, no matter whether I call it from the prompt
or from the desktop menu: "Could not send command to scanner: Check
the scanner's status". There is no further information in that message
window, nor is there a menu that would permit me to read a logfile or
whatever, so this is pretty useless.
Then again, it makes sense that a command cannot be sent to scanner,
because the default way of installing the hardware is to configure it
with epkowa, which is in iscan-free; as iscan-free does not have the
iscan frontend command, you have to install the proprietary iscan
packages, which are mutually exclusive with iscan-free, so
deinstallation of that deletes epkowa, I guess. Ingeniously, the test
performed when the hardware is thus set up does not result in any
error.
As an alternative, I have also tried to set up the hardware with the
epson driver package, which is part of sane-backends (always
installed), but that results in the same error message, *and* the
scanner is not identified correctly in the first place, but as
GT-9700, although the selection list explicitly lists the Perfection
2450 and the sane-epkowa manpage suggests somehow that this is
actually the name of the Perf 2450 in Japan.
When I tried the same thing with the epson2 driver package, I actually
did get a proper window of iscan and thought I could access the
scanner now. However, when pressing the Preview button, I got again
the aforementioned error. Furthermore, the hardware setup had reset
itself in such a way that epson2 was listed as "No scanner recognized
by this driver", and an additional entry showed the actual scanner as
Not Configured.
Yuck.