Prev: driver
Next: Nikon FDUtility
From: Dave Froble on
I tried looking in the archives, but I'm rather poor at searching, so
I'll ask. The subject pretty much describes my question. I want to
scan from within a VB project, and don't have any idea where to begin.
Any and all help would be appriciated.

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. Fax: 724-529-0596
From: CSM1 on
"Dave Froble" <davef(a)tsoft-inc.com> wrote in message
>I tried looking in the archives, but I'm rather poor at searching, so I'll
>ask. The subject pretty much describes my question. I want to scan from
>within a VB project, and don't have any idea where to begin. Any and all
>help would be appriciated.
>
> --
> David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
> Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. Fax: 724-529-0596
> DFE Ultralights, Inc. E-Mail: davef(a)tsoft-inc.com
> 170 Grimplin Road
> Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Have you looked at the programming at twain.org? (Click Downloads)
http://twain.org/

Check the FAQ: (Click FAQ on the left)
Question: Is it possible to write a Windows TWAIN Application using Visual
Basic or other high level programming language that doesn't allow modifying
the main application's message loop?

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

From: Don on
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 22:23:28 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail(a)nomail.com>
wrote:

>"Dave Froble" <davef(a)tsoft-inc.com> wrote in message
>>I tried looking in the archives, but I'm rather poor at searching, so I'll
>>ask. The subject pretty much describes my question. I want to scan from
>>within a VB project, and don't have any idea where to begin. Any and all
>>help would be appriciated.
>
>Have you looked at the programming at twain.org? (Click Downloads)
>http://twain.org/
>
>Check the FAQ: (Click FAQ on the left)
>Question: Is it possible to write a Windows TWAIN Application using Visual
>Basic or other high level programming language that doesn't allow modifying
>the main application's message loop?

Another way is to use an OCX. Apparently many versions of Windows have
one included. On my system here I have one by Kodak called IMGSCAN.OCX
officially described in Project/Components as "Kodak Image Scan
Control". However, it works with all TWAIN devices installed on my
system (flatbed scanner, film scanner, various digicams, etc).
However, it only provides a very basic scanner support.

As CSM1 says, it's far better to directly access the TWAIN module
supplied by your scanner manufacturer. The drawbacks are that you will
probably need the SDK (software developer kit) to make full use of it
and the interface is usually geared towards C which means having to
write "wrapper code" so VB can talk to it. On the plus side you will
then be able to use all additional features unique to your scanner
which may not be a part of standard TWAIN specifications.

Don.
From: Dave Froble on
Don wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 22:23:28 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail(a)nomail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Dave Froble" <davef(a)tsoft-inc.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I tried looking in the archives, but I'm rather poor at searching, so I'll
>>>ask. The subject pretty much describes my question. I want to scan from
>>>within a VB project, and don't have any idea where to begin. Any and all
>>>help would be appriciated.
>>
>>Have you looked at the programming at twain.org? (Click Downloads)
>>http://twain.org/
>>
>>Check the FAQ: (Click FAQ on the left)
>>Question: Is it possible to write a Windows TWAIN Application using Visual
>>Basic or other high level programming language that doesn't allow modifying
>>the main application's message loop?
>

> Another way is to use an OCX. Apparently many versions of Windows have
> one included. On my system here I have one by Kodak called IMGSCAN.OCX
> officially described in Project/Components as "Kodak Image Scan
> Control". However, it works with all TWAIN devices installed on my
> system (flatbed scanner, film scanner, various digicams, etc).
> However, it only provides a very basic scanner support.
>
> As CSM1 says, it's far better to directly access the TWAIN module
> supplied by your scanner manufacturer. The drawbacks are that you will
> probably need the SDK (software developer kit) to make full use of it
> and the interface is usually geared towards C which means having to
> write "wrapper code" so VB can talk to it. On the plus side you will
> then be able to use all additional features unique to your scanner
> which may not be a part of standard TWAIN specifications.
>
> Don.

I'll take a look at the Kodak control. I don't need anything fancy.
The applications is thus. Certain documents on 8.5 x 11 paper need to
be scanned and placed into files. A database record is created to point
to the file. Thus, a user can pull up and view any documents associated
with a transaction. Plain black & white images are totally adequate.

Thanks for the tip.

A quick google search revealed that there are vendors with twain
controls. Haven't had a chance to look at any yet.

From: Don on
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 14:07:48 -0500, Dave Froble <davef(a)tsoft-inc.com>
wrote:

>> Another way is to use an OCX. Apparently many versions of Windows have
>> one included. On my system here I have one by Kodak called IMGSCAN.OCX
>> officially described in Project/Components as "Kodak Image Scan
>> Control". However, it works with all TWAIN devices installed on my
>> system (flatbed scanner, film scanner, various digicams, etc).
>> However, it only provides a very basic scanner support.
>I'll take a look at the Kodak control. I don't need anything fancy.
>The applications is thus. Certain documents on 8.5 x 11 paper need to
>be scanned and placed into files. A database record is created to point
>to the file. Thus, a user can pull up and view any documents associated
>with a transaction. Plain black & white images are totally adequate.

In that case an OCX will be more than adequate. For example to show
available TWAIN devices with the Kodak one all you do is:

ImgScan1.ShowSelectScanner

This pops-up a list box will all installed TWAIN drivers highlighting
the one currently selected.

Other functions are similar one-liners and it's all explained in the
help files.

>Thanks for the tip.

You're most welcome. Good luck!

>A quick google search revealed that there are vendors with twain
>controls. Haven't had a chance to look at any yet.

If the customer/employer pays for it, then why not? ;o)

Don.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: driver