From: Gordon on
On 08/07/2010 16:18, Rotten Apple wrote:
> "Gordon"<gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 05/07/2010 21:51, Clogwog wrote:
>>
>>> Children love Windows and want MSN, Hotmail, photoalbums on SkyDrive,
>>> Windows live! a.s.o., all free!
>>
>> And in school they are supposed to learn COMPUTING instead of social
>> networking sites, instant messaging and photograph sharing.
>> Cretin.
>
> What school are you taking about? Grade school? High School? College?
>
> What's "COMPUTING?" Computing ballistic tables and/or cracking Nazi code?

Any school. That's the whole problem - we are producing a generation who
only know how to point and click.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Say No to OOXML http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9594#mpart8
From: Gordon on
On 08/07/2010 16:42, Rotten Apple wrote:
> "Gordon"<gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 08/07/2010 16:18, Rotten Apple wrote:
>>> "Gordon"<gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> What school are you taking about? Grade school? High School?
>>> College?
>>>
>>> What's "COMPUTING?" Computing ballistic tables and/or cracking Nazi
>>> code?
>>>

>> Any school. That's the whole problem - we are producing a generation who
>> only know how to point and click.
>
> So when do you recommend we start teaching machine language programming, in
> kindergarten, perhaps?

I don't. What does need to happen is to teach PRINCIPLES of
spreadsheets, word processing, maintaining machines etc rather than
being vendor-specific which has happened a lot up until recently.
Fortunately, some schools in UK are actually now doing that rather than
just teaching Word or Excel.

From: Gordon on
On 08/07/2010 16:59, Rotten Apple wrote:

> You mean kids graduate school knowing only academic principles and then have
> to pay for private instruction in the Word and Excel they need to hold a
> job? You consider that a good thing?

Not at all. If you teach spreadsheet and word processing principles,
then pupils should be able to use ANY spreadsheet or wp app with some
sort of proficiency.
Look at the rows over the Ribbon in MS Office 2007/10.
That's all because people have learned MS-specific skills and not
GENERAL application knowledge.
I had no problem converting because I have used many different Office
suites rather than just one...

From: Neil Ellwood on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 10:18:27 -0500, Rotten Apple wrote:

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 05/07/2010 21:51, Clogwog wrote:
>>
>>> Children love Windows and want MSN, Hotmail, photoalbums on SkyDrive,
>>> Windows live! a.s.o., all free!
>>
>> And in school they are supposed to learn COMPUTING instead of social
>> networking sites, instant messaging and photograph sharing. Cretin.
>
> What school are you taking about? Grade school? High School?
> College?
>
> What's "COMPUTING?" Computing ballistic tables and/or cracking Nazi
> code?

This is a UK group and we use UK terms here - you are using US terms
which mean nothing here.

--
Neil
Reverse 'r*a' and delete 'l'