From: Roky on
On Sep 14, 9:15 pm, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > So is this new card defective? or is it a compatibility problem?
>
> > Since I had this installed by an private person it is more complicated
> > to get a new card. He gave me a "bargain" and only charged me 135
> > dollars too.
>
> > So do you think it is a defective Card or compatibility issue?
>
> > I would have installed it myself but at the time I had recently had my
> > brain froze and aorta replaced and was not up to the task of trouble
> > shooting, though I did suspect it was the card when there was no
> > picture.
>
> > Thanks
> > Roky
>
> Do you have a second computer to test with ?
>
> I would test the Olivia 32 first, to make sure the display
> itself is not at fault. Using the output of a second
> computer, you could test the Olivia and see if the tint is
> still there.
>
> *******
>
> If the 9400GT has two connectors, I might try the other
> connector, and see if the symptoms remain. And if the
> card has one DVI and one VGA, and you were using the
> 15 pin VGA, you can get DVI-I to VGA adapter dongles,
> to convert the DVI connector into a VGA one. And using
> that output, you could test the VGA again. In other words,
> using the dongle, you can make a "two VGA" card.
>
> http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/14-127-398-07.jpg
>
> I'd seen a green tint on a CRT monitor, and it was caused by
> using "sync on green" mode. Normally, VGA uses RGBHV, which
> stands for red, green, blue, horizontal sync, vertical sync.
> There are a number of ways RGBHV can be run. Going from memory,
> you can use all five signals. You can disable one sync signal
> and run RGB and composite sync. But the other mode you can use,
> disables both sync signals, and the sync pulse instead travels
> on the green gun. And when I had a computer use that mode,
> it caused my old CRT to turn slightly greenish (very annoying).
>
> You can also get a tint on a VGA output, if one of the colors
> goes open circuit. But to get green, the red and blue would
> both have to open up. Thus my guess, that if it was a problem
> with signals on the cable, the only mode I know of, would
> be something like sync-on-green, and that really isn't too
> likely to be the way the PC operates it. And that leaves
> a problem with the innards of the Olivia.
>
> For this to be a video card problem, you have to ask yourself,
> how the video card could do that, and do it intermittently.
> The intermittent part, suggests a connection problem. But
> to get the green tint, probably requires more than one open
> signal.
>
> So if it was my problem, I'd be starting with the Olivia
> first, and make absolutely sure it is good. And then,
> do a quick check that the VGA cable is not at fault.
> Video cards usually pick more spectacular ways to fail,
> like squares, lines, black circles on the screen, or no
> output at all. An intermittent green tint is a bit too

I tried connecting the PC (windows xp) with the HDMI connector. No
green tint. ONly problem here is the browser window is cut off a tiny
bit, about one or two letters on each side, with the Olivia 32 set to
1:1 mode

i did try switching to the DVI with adapter to VGA output from the
video card and the problem was the same. But a I said i have only
noticed this on the Olivea and not on the CRT monitors (2) that i
tried.

Since this problem started with the installation of the new card I
think it is most likely not the TV or monitors.
It is a compatibility issue with Olivea?

Should I try to replace the card? I need to run the Olivea with the
VGA because it has ONLY one HDMI input and i need that for HD TV.
Idont have another PC here at the moment to test it

Thanks for your help.

Roky
From: Paul on
Roky wrote:

> I tried connecting the PC (windows xp) with the HDMI connector. No
> green tint. ONly problem here is the browser window is cut off a tiny
> bit, about one or two letters on each side, with the Olivia 32 set to
> 1:1 mode
>
> i did try switching to the DVI with adapter to VGA output from the
> video card and the problem was the same. But a I said i have only
> noticed this on the Olivea and not on the CRT monitors (2) that i
> tried.
>
> Since this problem started with the installation of the new card I
> think it is most likely not the TV or monitors.
> It is a compatibility issue with Olivea?
>
> Should I try to replace the card? I need to run the Olivea with the
> VGA because it has ONLY one HDMI input and i need that for HD TV.
> Idont have another PC here at the moment to test it
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Roky

Have you considered getting an HDMI switching device of some sort ?
Maybe you could increase the number of inputs on the TV, with an
external box. Here are a couple examples. What worries me a bit
about these things, is customer average reviews never seem to
exceed 3 out of 5, so the technology leaves a few people unhappy.
The CNET standard blurb in the review, claims these things are
"never twice the same" with respect to trying a wide range of
HDMI devices. Which is kinda weird, when you consider that the
switch has so little to do with the signal (reclocks it maybe).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817182095

http://reviews.cnet.com/audio-video-distribution/monoprice-5x1-hdmi-switcher/4505-14101_7-32684037.html?tag=mncol;txt

To debug what is going on with the signals on your VGA setup, you'd
need an oscilloscope. Just to see if there is evidence of sync pulses
on the green signal. I can't see the green tint coming from a defect
in RGB, because it would require Red and Blue to screw up at the same time.
So my assumption would be, Olevia is switching to Sync-On-Green mode
because it thinks it sees Sync on there. But because the set has
available to it, the entire RGBHV, it should be happy with the
horizontal and vertical sync it is getting on H and V, and it shouldn't
even look on the green signal, if it has solid signals on H and V.

There is a figure here, showing a "sync tip". Sync, as a signal level,
is "blacker than black". So, it would be up to the LCD TV to mistakenly
detect a downward going signal as a sync pulse. And fail to detect
the stronger, cleaner pulses it is getting on H and V.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Composite_Video.svg

If you post again, please post the exact model number of the
Olevia. I'd like to take a quick look at the manual, to see what
options its got.

Paul