From: CKM on
Besides some grepping through /etc/passwd and assumptions of
repository order in nsswitch.conf, is there any method to easily
determine is a user is local vs LDAP?

The ldaplist command is a pretty good start to tell me if a user is in
LDAP, but it doesn't preclude a user being in /etc/passwd and
depending on nsswitch.conf, either could take precedence.
From: CKM on
Agreed, the lookup order is maintained, but it doesn't tell me if the
user is local or not. It just means the getent passwd is consistent
with the nsswitch.conf lookup order.