From: Rod Speed on
Whimzee wrote:

> I am thinking of buying this drive on sale.

> Can I have your opinions on it?

I avoid Seagates, because you may well end up with a Maxtor
drive and they are the worst that are currently buyable.

> In particular, I am wary whenever they say automatic encryption.

> I want to protect the data with encryption as I will be going
> through many airports and I wonder if their auto encryption
> is any good and if I can use my own encryption, drive crypt
> or some other?

> Also what's the reliablity on this drive, cannot recall is it 2.5"?

It has to be, its not big enough to have a 3.5" drive in it.

From: Arno on
"<Whimzee" < <Whimzee(a)use-author-supplied-address.invalid> wrote:
> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in

>> Whimzee wrote:
>>
>>> I am thinking of buying this drive on sale.
>>
>>> Can I have your opinions on it?
>>
>> I avoid Seagates, because you may well end up with a Maxtor
>> drive and they are the worst that are currently buyable.

> How can you tell if it's a maxtor, can you elaborate on this?
> How are they doing this? Thx.

Seagate bought Maxtor a while ago and are using their
products as low-end drives. At the same time, Seagate
also has quality problems with their own products.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Rod Speed on
<Whimzee wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Whimzee wrote

>>> I am thinking of buying this drive on sale.

>>> Can I have your opinions on it?

>> I avoid Seagates, because you may well end up with a Maxtor
>> drive and they are the worst that are currently buyable.

> How can you tell if it's a maxtor, can you elaborate on this?

By checking which drive is in the case once you have it, electronically.

That in itself isnt completely trivial because you cant always get the
SMART data with external drives, you may need to get one of the
non free utes like Everest to be able to see what drive is inside.

> How are they doing this? Thx.

They bought out Maxtor.

Seagate has also had quality problems with their seagate drives too, they
are one of the few drive manufacturers to manufacture drives in china.