From: Eric Gisin on
"Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote in message

> I'm running Win98SE. While monitoring file accesses with Filemon (from
> SysInternals), I used Everest Home Edition (ver 2.20.405) to monitor
> the drive's SMART data. Every time I refreshed the SMART report (using
> F5), the Seek Error Rate figure increased by 10 points. However the
> Filemon capture window remained empty. How can a drive incur seek
> errors if there are no file accesses? I would think that the SMART
> data would be retrieved from the drive's RAM or flash EEPROM, so no
> actual seeks would be required.

SMART diagnostic I/O does not show up as Windows I/O.

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> On 2 Sep 2007 05:29:04 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger to
> keyboard and composed:

>>Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:

>>> BTW, these are the SMART data for my Fujitsu 6GB drive:
>>> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/6GB.RPT
>>
>>> Notice the raw value for "Power On Hours Count".
>>
>>> 0000008EF98Ah = 9369994 dec
>>> = 1069 years
>>
>>> In fact the figure appears to represent Power On Seconds.
>>
>>This is a non-standardized field, AFAIK. Bogus readings are
>>no surprise here.
>>
>>Arno

> I suspect that the figures aren't necessarily bogus, they may just
> need to be interpreted differently between manufacturers.

That is what I meant. The raw values ace accurate, but the interpreted
figures are ofteh wrong.

> That said, I
> haven't been able to find any detailed SMART documentation at any of
> the manufacturers' web sites.

SMART is part of the ATA spec. You can find specs on the t13 comitte
website here: http://www.t13.org/

Arno
From: Christian Franke on
Arno Wagner wrote:
> Previously Franc Zabkar <...> wrote:
>> On 2 Sep 2007 05:29:04 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger to
>> keyboard and composed:

Yes, the FUJITSU MPE3064AT Attribute 9 raw value counts seconds.
Other drives use hours, minutes or half minutes.
Some SMART tools handle these differences, most don't.
See info about Attribute 9 in http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#FAQ

>>> This is a non-standardized field, AFAIK. Bogus readings are
>>> no surprise here.
>>>
>>> Arno
>
>> I suspect that the figures aren't necessarily bogus, they may just
>> need to be interpreted differently between manufacturers.
>
> That is what I meant. The raw values ace accurate, but the interpreted
> figures are ofteh wrong.
>
>> That said, I
>> haven't been able to find any detailed SMART documentation at any of
>> the manufacturers' web sites.
>
> SMART is part of the ATA spec. You can find specs on the t13 comitte
> website here: http://www.t13.org/

Unlike SMART status, self-tests and logs, SMART attributes are *not*
standardized in ATA-3...8. Even the general data format isn't standardized.

Specific Attributes are only listed in a proposed informal annex for
ATA-8. But it is still not included in the draft.

See "ATA References" at http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#references
for links & comments.

Christian
From: Folkert Rienstra on
Franc Zabkar wrote in message news:b3mkd3t5rsfskeujhqmej21cu4igqs5lhm(a)4ax.com
> On 1 Sep 2007 07:29:59 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger to
> keyboard and composed:
>
> > Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> > > I'm trying to make sense of the SMART reports for my 13GB and 120GB
> > > Seagate hard drives. Both have very high numbers for the Raw Read
> > > Error Rate and Seek Error Rate.
> >
> > Raw read error is very hard to interpret and usually not
> > important anyways. Seek errors are usually a poer problem
> > or a vibration problem. They may also indicate a problem
> > with the disk.

> I'm running Win98SE. While monitoring file accesses with Filemon (from
> SysInternals), I used Everest Home Edition (ver 2.20.405) to monitor
> the drive's SMART data. Every time I refreshed the SMART report (using
> F5), the Seek Error Rate figure increased by 10 points. However the
> Filemon capture window remained empty. How can a drive incur seek
> errors if there are no file accesses?

What file access.

> I would think that the SMART data would be retrieved from the
> drive's RAM or flash EEPROM, so no actual seeks would be required.

Well, guess what.

From: Folkert Rienstra on
Franc Zabkar wrote in message news:peqjd395h03laql0g2m7jcid0n76gdqqdt(a)4ax.com
> On 1 Sep 2007 07:29:59 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger to
> keyboard and composed:
>
> > Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> > > I'm trying to make sense of the SMART reports for my 13GB and 120GB
> > > Seagate hard drives. Both have very high numbers for the Raw Read
> > > Error Rate and Seek Error Rate.
> >
> > Raw read error is very hard to interpret and usually not important any
> > ways. Seek errors are usually a poer problem or a vibration problem.
> > They may also indicate a problem with the disk.
> >
> > > At the moment the Raw Read Error Rate
> > > for the 13GB seems to be unchanging, but the Seek Error Rate increases
> > > every time I look at it. Also, if I compare today's Raw Read Error
> > > Rate with the result from two years ago, the number is actually much
> > > lower today. Does anyone know how these figures are calculated, or
> > > even if they mean what they appear to mean?
> >
> > > These are recent reports produced by SmartUDM:
> > > http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/13GB.RPT
> > > http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/120GB.RPT
> >
> > > These reports were produced by Everest:
> > > http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/SMART_05.txt (2005)
> > > http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/SMART_07.txt (2007)
> > > http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/SMART_scandisk.txt
> >
> > > The first report was done in Sept 2005, the second in the last couple
> > > of days. The last report is the result after running Scandisk.
> >
> > > BTW, the Current Pending Sector Count of 1 reflects a sector that has
> > > been marked as bad by the OS.
> >
> > Not quite. It represents a sector that the drive has given up on,
> > but not yet been able to replace, because it was not written to it.
> > The OS does not factor into this.

> Sorry, my statement was ambiguous.

No it wasn't. Everybody else but the babblebot got it.

> Maybe I should have written that "the Current Pending Sector Count
> of 1 coincides with a sector that has been marked as bad by the OS".

Which would have gotten the same response from the babblebot.

> > A bad sector marked by the disk (and invisible to the OS) can
> > be counter as "reallocation event" or "reallocated sector count".
> > If these numbers start growing, something is seriously wrong.
>
> The numbers *are* growing. In fact they've grown from 34 to 119 in
> two years. I've been preparing to replace the drive for quite some
> time now. However, it's only in the last month or so that the drive has
> been making occasional noises, ie a very soft clink, probably from the
> voice coil positioner.
>
> > > I suspect that the drive's controller is aware that it is bad, but it
> > > cannot relocate it until such time as the OS writes to it, thereby sig-
> > > nalling that the data in that sector is no longer of any consequence.
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > FWIW, SeaTools Desktop v3.00 says the 13GB drive is OK, apart
> > > from one bad sector.

> > One bad sector is no reason for concern.
> > If they start to get more, that would be.

Utter nonsense as always from the babblebot.