From: Folkert Rienstra on
Arno Wagner wrote in message news:5jv010F1bpmbU1(a)mid.individual.net
> Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> > On 1 Sep 2007 07:29:59 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger to
> > keyboard and composed:
>
> > > Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > Not quite. It represents a sector that the drive has given up on, but
> > > not yet been able to replace, because it was not written to it.
> > > The OS does not factor into this.
>
> > Sorry, my statement was ambiguous. Maybe I should have written that
> > "the Current Pending Sector Count of 1 coincides with a sector that
> > has been marked as bad by the OS".
>
> Ok.
>
> > > A bad sector marked by the disk (and invisible to the OS) can
> > > be counter as "reallocation event" or "reallocated sector
> > > count". If these numbers start growing, something is seriously
> > > wrong.
>
> > The numbers *are* growing. In fact they've grown from 34 to 119 in two
> > years. I've been preparing to replace the drive for quite some time now.
> > However, it's only in the last month or so that the drive has been making
> > occasional noises, ie a very soft clink, probably from the voice coil posi-
> > tioner.

> Well. Personally I stop trustinf a disk around
> 10 or so, unless they all happened in one burst.

Which makes perfect sense if you are babblebot.

> I have had one Maxtor disk with something like 200 reallocated sectors in
> one event, which did run fine without any additional ones for three years
> afterwards.

Which obviously you only know by waiting for 3 years.

> So, it could be a problem with power (spikes, I would suspect), mecha-
> nical shock/vibration or the like. Or the disk could have a problem.

> I would replace that one.

And subject the new disk to the same problem causes. Very good, babblebot.

> Also, at some time the disk will run out of spare sectors.

At this rate somewhere in the next century which is very bad, eh babblebot.

> > > Yes.

> > > One bad sector is no reason for concern. If they start to get more,
> > > that would be.
> > >
> > > Arno
>
> > I now have a batch file that runs just prior to shutdown. Among other
> > things, it captures SMART data and appends it to a log file. It'll be in-
> > teresting to monitor the drive as it progresses toward total failure. :-)
>
> > BTW, these are the SMART data for my Fujitsu 6GB drive:
> > http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/6GB.RPT
>
> > Notice the raw value for "Power On Hours Count".
>
> > 0000008EF98Ah = 9369994 dec
> > = 1069 years
>
> > In fact the figure appears to represent Power On Seconds.

> This is a non-standardized field, AFAIK.

Little you know. They all are, babblebot.

> Bogus readings are no surprise here.

As is your response.

From: Folkert Rienstra on
Arno Wagner wrote in news:5k06tjF1h73nU3(a)mid.individual.net
> Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> > On 2 Sep 2007 05:29:04 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger to
> > keyboard and composed:

> > > This is a non-standardized field, AFAIK. Bogus readings are
> > > no surprise here.
> > >
> > > Arno
>
> > I suspect that the figures aren't necessarily bogus, they may just
> > need to be interpreted differently between manufacturers.
>
> That is what I meant. The raw values ace accurate, but the interpreted
> figures are ofteh wrong.
>
> > That said, I haven't been able to find any detailed SMART
> > documentation at any of the manufacturers' web sites.
>
> SMART is part of the ATA spec. You can find specs on the t13 comitte
> website here: http://www.t13.org/

Which obviously you didn't bother to consult.

From: Franc Zabkar on
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:11:58 -0700, "Eric Gisin" <gisin(a)uniserve.com>
put finger to keyboard and composed:

>"Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm running Win98SE. While monitoring file accesses with Filemon (from
>> SysInternals), I used Everest Home Edition (ver 2.20.405) to monitor
>> the drive's SMART data. Every time I refreshed the SMART report (using
>> F5), the Seek Error Rate figure increased by 10 points. However the
>> Filemon capture window remained empty. How can a drive incur seek
>> errors if there are no file accesses? I would think that the SMART
>> data would be retrieved from the drive's RAM or flash EEPROM, so no
>> actual seeks would be required.
>>
>SMART diagnostic I/O does not show up as Windows I/O.

Understood, and that's essentially what I wrote. I merely used Filemon
to confirm that Everest wasn't doing something else as well. So the
question remains, why does SMART diagnostic I/O cause the Seek Error
Rate figure to change?

- Franc Zabkar
From: Folkert Rienstra on
Franc Zabkar wrote in news:vd7md35mfhvt4p0qf73ah37k8tv853h8q2(a)4ax.com
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:11:58 -0700, "Eric Gisin" gisin(a)uniserve.com put finger to keyboard and composed:
> > "Franc Zabkar" fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote in message news:b3mkd3t5rsfskeujhqmej21cu4igqs5lhm(a)4ax.com...
> > >
> > > I'm running Win98SE. While monitoring file accesses with Filemon (from
> > > SysInternals), I used Everest Home Edition (ver 2.20.405) to monitor
> > > the drive's SMART data. Every time I refreshed the SMART report (using
> > > F5), the Seek Error Rate figure increased by 10 points. However the
> > > Filemon capture window remained empty. How can a drive incur seek
> > > errors if there are no file accesses? I would think that the SMART
> > > data would be retrieved from the drive's RAM or flash EEPROM, so no
> > > actual seeks would be required.
> > >
> > SMART diagnostic I/O does not show up as Windows I/O.

> Understood,

No, not really.

> and that's essentially what I wrote.

No, you didn't.

> I merely used Filemon to confirm that Everest wasn't doing something
> else as well.

Like File IO maybe?

> So the question remains, why does SMART diagnostic I/O cause the

> Seek Error Rate figure to change?

Maybe because it does "SMART diagnostic I/O" ?
Just a calculated guess. What do you think.

From: Franc Zabkar on
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 23:54:16 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to(a)myweb.nl> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Franc Zabkar wrote in news:vd7md35mfhvt4p0qf73ah37k8tv853h8q2(a)4ax.com

>> > SMART diagnostic I/O does not show up as Windows I/O.
>
>> Understood,
>
>No, not really.
>
>> and that's essentially what I wrote.
>
>No, you didn't.
>
>> I merely used Filemon to confirm that Everest wasn't doing something
>> else as well.
>
>Like File IO maybe?
>
>> So the question remains, why does SMART diagnostic I/O cause the
>
>> Seek Error Rate figure to change?
>
>Maybe because it does "SMART diagnostic I/O" ?
>Just a calculated guess. What do you think.

I think you are a putrefying dog turd that should go into my kill
file.

- Franc Zabkar