From: eastender on
Apologies if this has already come up but has anyone got/considering the
Seagate Momentus XT 2.5 inch hybrid disks with 4GB SSD storage? I
realise Seagates are not the flavour of the month but thought this might
be worth getting for my intensively used Mac Mini as a large SSD is
really too expensive.

http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/seagate-momentus-xt-500gb/4505-3186_7
-34109211.html

E.
From: Rob on
On 02/07/2010 12:27, eastender wrote:
> Apologies if this has already come up but has anyone got/considering the
> Seagate Momentus XT 2.5 inch hybrid disks with 4GB SSD storage? I
> realise Seagates are not the flavour of the month but thought this might
> be worth getting for my intensively used Mac Mini as a large SSD is
> really too expensive.
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/seagate-momentus-xt-500gb/4505-3186_7
> -34109211.html

I updated a Mini's HD to a standard 500GB a few months ago. Had I known
about these (or if they were around) I might have given it a go - over
double the price and higher power consumption (and possibly heat) seem
to be the main drawbacks.

I think the HD is the main bottleneck in a Mini. In fact, having used a
standard HD iMac for a few days recently, I realised the SSD in my
'main' iMac makes a huge difference in use.

Rob

From: eastender on
In article <4c2de15b$0$18757$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
Rob <ngonly(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I updated a Mini's HD to a standard 500GB a few months ago. Had I known
> about these (or if they were around) I might have given it a go - over
> double the price and higher power consumption (and possibly heat) seem
> to be the main drawbacks.

They've only been out for a few weeks I think but have got good reviews
as the first really successful hybrid. I put a 320GB 7200 drive in my
mid-2009 Mini and 4GB ram and it goes pretty well - fan is running at
the base 1500 rpm and temp is about 60 C at the moment despite my office
(a back bedroom at home) being about 90 F.

E.
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Rob <ngonly(a)gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> I updated a Mini's HD to a standard 500GB a few months ago. Had I known
> about these (or if they were around) I might have given it a go - over
> double the price and higher power consumption (and possibly heat)

100% of the electricity that your computer uses gets turned into heat.

Whatever the power consumption is, that's the heat output.

Caveat: sometimes, some of the heat is first turned into other forms of
energy, some of which go away from the computer before they degrade into
heat.

But that's a tiny fraction of the total - you might as well just take
the line that if it's a 25W `thing', it's a 25W heater and leave it at
that.

[snip]

Rowland.
(who becomes very aware of this point when using his 800W Dyson - shut
the door of this room, and that 800W fan heater makes things
uncomfortably warm in very short order)

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Rob on
On 03/07/2010 02:09, Rowland McDonnell wrote:
> Rob<ngonly(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I updated a Mini's HD to a standard 500GB a few months ago. Had I known
>> about these (or if they were around) I might have given it a go - over
>> double the price and higher power consumption (and possibly heat)
>
> 100% of the electricity that your computer uses gets turned into heat.
>
> Whatever the power consumption is, that's the heat output.
>
> Caveat: sometimes, some of the heat is first turned into other forms of
> energy, some of which go away from the computer before they degrade into
> heat.
>
> But that's a tiny fraction of the total - you might as well just take
> the line that if it's a 25W `thing', it's a 25W heater and leave it at
> that.

Well, yes, I agree with your logic to a point. I just think something's
up. The Seagate's power consumption is on a par with 3.5" disks:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seagate-momentus-xt-hybrid-hard-drive-ssd,2638-10.html

But then mechanical 2.5" disks use about* the same amount of power as
3.5" disks when doing similar tasks (albeit with less productivity):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/laptop-notebook-hard-drive,2548-8.html

Now, I can say anecdotally that 'normal' 2.5" disks don't get as hot as
3.5" disks. So what's all that about then? The *about figure is
relatively significant (0.8 versus say 1w/hr) but not, I would have
thought, of absolute importance - at least in terms of explaining such a
qualitative experience of heat. Just dunno!

> [snip]
>
> Rowland.
> (who becomes very aware of this point when using his 800W Dyson - shut
> the door of this room, and that 800W fan heater makes things
> uncomfortably warm in very short order)

Don't be hoovering in this weather :-)