From: Peter on
Hi,

I have been getting some odd behaviour recently with my machine.

I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.4 but I noticed the problem first using 10.6.3.

I am getting strange graphical glitches on my screen from time to time
in the form of a line or lines. There is a screen shot available here:
http://www.badrick.plus.com/glitch.jpg

From my PC days I get the feeling that my GPU could be overheating?
However, it is infrequent and only pops up in app windows. The glitch
moves with the window.

It mainly happened when using Safari 4, so I hoped Safari 5 would fix
it, then I noticed it in other apps (System Profiler where the shot was
taken and also in Coda).

Looking at the Apple forums, other people seem to be having glitches
with SL, but not the same as these and with much newer machines.

Is my machine beginning to fail (nearly 5 years old)? It has recently
had a clean install (drive wiped) and this didn't solve it. Also, going
from .6.3 to .6.4 hasn't helped.

Any ideas? System specs below.

Fingers crossed,

Pete.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.9f4
Serial Number (system): CK6430D7X0E
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB93B4F1

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x71c5
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxxx-139
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.139
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:18:26 +0100, Peter Badrick wrote:

>I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.4 but I noticed the problem first using 10.6.3.
>
>I am getting strange graphical glitches on my screen from time to time
>in the form of a line or lines. There is a screen shot available here:
>http://www.badrick.plus.com/glitch.jpg
>
>From my PC days I get the feeling that my GPU could be overheating?
>However, it is infrequent and only pops up in app windows. The glitch
>moves with the window.

It does look like a gfx card problem. You're long out of warranty, I
see...

Most of the graphics problems people are complaining about currently
are the somewhat ropy drivers for nVidia cards that came with 10.6.4,
so you can discount those with your ATI.

>Is my machine beginning to fail (nearly 5 years old)? It has recently
>had a clean install (drive wiped) and this didn't solve it. Also, going
>from .6.3 to .6.4 hasn't helped.

The clean install (or a fresh partition with a test install) would be
what I'd have recommended as a useful troubleshooting step. Since the
fault survived that, I think you're definitely on a hardware failure.

Have you run the Apple Hardware Test, extended version? Boot off your
install DVD with the D key held down to get into it. The extended test
will spend some time checking out your graphics card RAM.

Apple will quote for repair, but it won't be a quote you'll like at
all...

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Power corrupts, but intermittent power corrupts absolutely
-- Jeff Bell, asr
From: Elliott Roper on
In article <2010070212182670388-(a)news.plus.net>, Peter Badrick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been getting some odd behaviour recently with my machine.
>
> I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.4 but I noticed the problem first using 10.6.3.
>
> I am getting strange graphical glitches on my screen from time to time
> in the form of a line or lines. There is a screen shot available here:
> http://www.badrick.plus.com/glitch.jpg
>
> From my PC days I get the feeling that my GPU could be overheating?
> However, it is infrequent and only pops up in app windows. The glitch
> moves with the window.

That looked like my ATI XT1900 just before it died from overheating due
to too much carpet in the heat sink.

After that it did yellow "bruises"; then it would send the screen
black; then it would crash the Mac. Now it sits in a box of junk in the
barn. I think.

I don't know about the X1600 in your iMac but it might be worth blowing
the dust out of its heat sink if it has one.

You might try the iStat Pro dashboard widget to get a report on the
temperatures inside you machine.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
From: Jim on
On 2010-07-02, Peter Badrick <Peter> wrote:

> I am getting strange graphical glitches on my screen from time to time
> in the form of a line or lines. There is a screen shot available here:
> http://www.badrick.plus.com/glitch.jpg

I can't help much with the problem (although it does feel rather like a
graphics card that's about to fly south for the summer) but when I visit that
link in Safari under XP I'm getting AVG popping up a threat alert for
'Exploit Rogue Scanner (type 1144)'. No idea what that is but I thought you
might like to know.

It's probably just AVG getting confused about something...

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
From: Peter on
On 2010-07-02 13:45:51 +0100, Jim said:

> On 2010-07-02, Peter Badrick <Peter> wrote:
>
>> I am getting strange graphical glitches on my screen from time to time
>> in the form of a line or lines. There is a screen shot available here:
>> http://www.badrick.plus.com/glitch.jpg
>
> I can't help much with the problem (although it does feel rather like a
> graphics card that's about to fly south for the summer) but when I visit that
> link in Safari under XP I'm getting AVG popping up a threat alert for
> 'Exploit Rogue Scanner (type 1144)'. No idea what that is but I thought you
> might like to know.
>
> It's probably just AVG getting confused about something...
>
> Jim

I can assure you that there is nothing to worry about with that link.
Probably just AVG. I've just checked it with my Windoze laptop running
Avast and its clean.

Pete.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8