From: mitch8 on
I'm helping a friend whose laptop was infected with a virus/trojan. We
disinfected using MalwareBytes anti-malware app. She now has a functioning pc
again...but...

When I try to use the search feature in Windows XP, I get an error message
that reads "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found.
You may need to run Setup."

I tried to reinstall via the srchasst.inf file in the Windows\inf folder
(right-click - install) but it said 'The file "msgr3en.dll" on the Windows XP
Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD is needed.

The problem is that I can't reinstall it because Windows XP came
preinstalled on her laptop, and she was not given a CD. I tried to download
a version off the internet, but when I point to that file when installing via
the srchasst.inf file, I get a an error window that says Installation failed.

The system is running XP home edition with sp3.

Can anyone suggest another avenue to get the search companion running again?

tia,
Mitch
From: Jim on

Better search program ( free ) http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/