From: Mike on
Before I get into my problem, here is how sharepoint environment is
setup:

We are only using one portal
Front End (on one box) - SPS 2003 with Service Pack 2
Back End (on another box) - SQL Server 2005. The only databases on
this box are for our portal.

We are having problems with searchs. It seems like the portal search
works ok, but when you do a search from a WSS site you get nothing
back. Well, I looked in our "_SITE" database and noticed that there is
no catalog in the "Full Text Catalogs" folder. I swore I remember a
catalog there before. Well after doing some research I heard all you
have to do is the following:

Go to SharePoint Portal Server Central Administration
Click on "Windows SharePoint Services"
In the "Component Configuration" section, click on "Configure full-text
search"
Uncheck the "Enable full-text search and index component" and click OK
Click on "Configure full-text search" again
Check the "Enable full-text search and index component" and click OK

This process will create the catalog. Well I have and it still doesn't
work. Can't search from a WSS site and no catalog. This is driving me
nuts. Does anyone have any thoughts or a resolution? Am I doing
something wrong? Please help!

Mike

From: Mike on
I did some more investigating and came across two more clues to this
mystery. I saw this error in the Application Event Log around the time
I discovered the catalog was missing (I replaced the server name with
"SERVERNAME" and "PORTALNAME" for the name of the portal)

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 7683
Date: 9/20/2006
Time: 8:20:45 AM
User: ALLPAK\spadmin
Computer: SERVERNAME
Errors were encountered during full-text index population for table or
indexed view '[PORTALNAME1_SITE].[dbo].[Docs]', database
'PORTALNAME1_SITE' (table or indexed view ID '1993058136', database ID
'9'). Please see full-text crawl logs for details.

Also, I tried to manually create the index with the name
ix_PORTALNAME1_SITE and got this error in SQL Server Management Studio:

TITLE: Full-Text Indexing Wizard Progress
------------------------------

Create full-text catalog failed.

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Create failed for FullTextCatalog 'ix_PORTALNAME1_SITE'.
(Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.1399.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Create+FullTextCatalog&LinkId=20476

------------------------------

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or
batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------

File 'sysft_ix_PORTALNAME1_SITE' cannot be reused until after the next
BACKUP LOG operation. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 1833)

For help, click:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=09.00.1399&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=1833&LinkId=20476

Does this help? Anybody have any suggestions?

Mike

From: Mike on
I figured it out. First, I backed up the transaction log using SQL
Server Management Studio. I think it was waiting for it to be done so
I did it. Then I deleted the backup file. I didn't need it. Next, I
went to SharePoint Portal Server Central Administration and did the
following:

Click on "Windows SharePoint Services"
In the "Component Configuration" section, click on "Configure full-text

search"
Uncheck the "Enable full-text search and index component" and click OK
Click on "Configure full-text search" again
Check the "Enable full-text search and index component" and click OK

After doing that, I looked and saw the catalog created and populating
in SQL Server.

Mike