From: sean.swords on
Hi,
We have 2 MOSS server machines and 1 SQL Server 2005 machine in the
farm. We have installed 'Complete' MOSS on each server in the farm and
added the servers to the farm using the configuration tool. Using the
Central Administration Topology and Services, we have started the
following services running on each MOSS server:

1. VIRTAPP037S
-Central Administration
-Excel Calculation Services
-Office SharePoint Server Search
-Windows SharePoint Services Help Search
-Windows SharePoint Services Incoming E-Mail
-Windows SharePoint Services Web Application

2. VIRTIIS035S
-Windows SharePoint Services Incoming E-Mail
-Windows SharePoint Services Web Application

3. DBSHDEV01
Database server containing config db and all content DBs

Following the Technet literature (http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/
en-us/library/5ca59325-7cc3-4703-ab88-4055a219d3561033.mspx?mfr=true)
we carried out the following tasks in Central Administration:
1. Created the Shared Service Provider, using the 'Create a new web
application' option for both the SSP administration site and the My
Site Location. The Web application ports were selected randomly.
2. Created a new web application (ESBDEV) under the same SSP , again
with random port selection.
3. Created a new Site Collection (collaboration portal) in the web
application created in step 2
We now have a site collection which can be accessed via both of the
following addresses as expected:
http://virtapp037s/sites/esbdev/Pages/Default.aspx and
http://virtiis035s/sites/esbdev/Pages/Default.aspx
However the search tool, the My Site and the My Links functionality
ONLY work from the virtapp037s address which is (probably not
incidentally) the server running the Central Administration.
The question is, why is the ESBDEV site collection accessible from
both servers running the Windows SharePoint Services Web Application
whereas the My Site web application and search functionality are only
accessible from the one running Central Administraion? The problem
will be even more salient in our production environment in which we
intend to have the web front end service running only on 2 machines
dedicated for that specific purpose whilst the central admin, search,
excel etc. will run on a dedicated application server. So the question
remain, how do we ensure all web functionality is available from each
farm machine running the Window Sharepoint Services Web Application,
whether it is the central administration machine or not?
Cheers